Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed on my 2006 Pontiac Torrent that the trim on my tailgate is coming off a little on the one side of it. It looks like the whole piece is held on with double sided tape.

I was going to attempt taking it off and putting it back on with new double sided tape.

Is there an easy way to get the double sided tape off the paint without damaging the paint. As well what could I use to remove the tape from the back of the trim?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jhorton
    I noticed on my 2006 Pontiac Torrent that the trim on my tailgate is coming off a little on the one side of it. It looks like the whole piece is held on with double sided tape.

I was going to attempt taking it off and putting it back on with new double sided tape.

Is there an easy way to get the double sided tape off the paint without damaging the paint. As well what could I use to remove the tape from the back of the trim?

I`d use 3M Adhesive Remover, it`s made for this. Others use Goo-Gone, Dissolve-It, etc. but I like to use stuff that`s specifically designed for the adhesives used on vehicles. For one thing, it evaporates very cleanly with no rinsing.

Applying heat can help, just watch you don`t overdo it and flash the Adhesive Remover too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M Adhesive Remover(red and white can about $14) one of the best products on the market

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil-Flo is the best stuff I`ve used. I used to use 3M Adhesive Remover but like Oil-Flo much better. We use it when we have to remove emblems, decals, and so on. I just used it to remove weights on my motorcycle wheels and it took them right off.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M Stripe Off Wheel Works amazingly well, I used it to take off the stickers from a conversion van... there was a lot of vinyl on that thing! The 3m Adhesive remover was ok, but the wheel works 20x faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Oil-Flo is the best stuff I`ve used. I used to use 3M Adhesive Remover but like Oil-Flo much better..

Ah, you got my attention with that!

Thread Information