Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone....I am new to this site...your help is greatly appreciated

My car is only 3 months old...and white..and after washing it Sunday I noticed tiny orange dots on the front and rear bumper.

I was planning on claying the car....but then I read that clay is an abrasive...which I don`t feel comfortable using on a brand new car...is there an alternative for these orange dots?..some kind of car wash that is NOT abrasive...and will remove these spots....I took a long drive last Saturday...only use the car on weekends and keep it covered....and someone on another site suggested it may be brake dust or pollen spores?.....Any advice, please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa809
    Hey everyone....I am new to this site...your help is greatly appreciated

My car is only 3 months old...and white..and after washing it Sunday I noticed tiny orange dots on the front and rear bumper.

I was planning on claying the car....but then I read that clay is an abrasive...which I don`t feel comfortable using on a brand new car...is there an alternative for these orange dots?..some kind of car wash that is NOT abrasive...and will remove these spots....I took a long drive last Saturday...only use the car on weekends and keep it covered....and someone on another site suggested it may be brake dust or pollen spores?.....Any advice, please?

Those are really common on white cars. Try to clay it with Sonus Green it is very very mild.

Post Thanks / Like
    washing alone will not remove bonded contaminants, you`ll need to clay and see where that gets you. get the megs smooth surface clay kit (the clay is mild), it can be had at walmart, target, pepboys, autozone, etc., for under $20. just make sure to knead the clay often and use plenty of lube...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah..but I want to avoid ANY abrasives....after how many years of claying your car does it take for the clear coat to finally wear off?..it will eventually happen, no?....I heard something about a paint decontamination wash?....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah..but I want to avoid ANY abrasives....after how many years of claying your car does it take for the clear coat to finally wear off?..it will eventually happen, no?....I heard something about a paint decontamination wash?....

you`ll be fine using the megs clay and i wouldn`t worry about taking off clear (you`re removing what`s on top of the clear which is the bonded contaminants)...

YouTube - How to Clay Bar

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay doesn`t polish, it just removes surface contaminants. You shouldn`t be worried about harming the clear by just claying. Learn about the products and the process, take your time, and you`ll be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys....but I looked up the tutorial for claying on this site...and the guy clearly states that it is an abrasive and should only be used twice a year...that some guys tend to use it once a month and inevitably DO damage their clearcoat....just very nervous...this being a brand new car, and all

Post Thanks / Like
    clay it invest in a good wax and re apply every now and then to minimize contamination...good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I claybar every car that comes to my garage.

The Meguiar`s Smooth Surface Claybar Kit is not going to be abrasive, and will remove almost all of the bonded surface contaminants. Leaving those contaminants on is what`s inevitably going to be the start of the deterioration of the paint/clear coat.

Follow it with a high quality wax (I prefer the Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax 2.0), and you`ll keep that paint from getting polka-dotted.
    --Evan

Vanity

Automotive & Marine Detailing

"Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat`s shine, that`s Vanity."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys....but I looked up the tutorial for claying on this site...and the guy clearly states that it is an abrasive and should only be used twice a year...that some guys tend to use it once a month and inevitably DO damage their clearcoat....just very nervous...this being a brand new car, and all

Just make sure you use plenty of clay lube and a mild clay (I use Sonus Green) and you will be just fine. I understand your worries about a new car, but trust everyone on this forum (especially the Pros), claying will not remove your clear coat, it will remove the contaminants from your clear coat and in the long run extend the life of your finish.

Here`s another link ( How to use a clay bar on your Car ), make sure to take a look at the video section as well.

Also, think about this, the Pros on this forum clay $100,000+ cars regularly .

Post Thanks / Like
    okay, thanks..can i buy the sonus green at an auto store...or do i need to order it online?

Post Thanks / Like
    okay, thanks..can i buy the sonus green at an auto store...or do i need to order it online?

Sonus is only available online, also grab a quailty clay lube as well (I use ONR at the recomended clay lube dilution). If you want to pick up something locally, Meguiar`s Smooth Surface Claybar Kit is a good mild clay as well and comes with a lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had them on my s2k also...It acutally took a more aggressive clay to remove them...

Is it similar to this? This was on my white s2k also..

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t rule out a decon wash (ABC). It`s the only guaranteed way to remove metal particles w/o harming the finish. Automotive International > Home
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Highrev1
    I had them on my s2k also...It acutally took a more aggressive clay to remove them...

Is it similar to this? This was on my white s2k also..

Yep...that`s what it looks like...only on the bumpers..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information