Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone. I`m not exactly sure what kind of damage this is called or what kind of "funk" this is, but I was wondering if it is permanent. If it`s not permanent, what can I do about it? Thanks.

Here`s a picture of the entire hood.

EDIT: Even after I wash my car, the "funk" on the hood remains. I can`t even rub it off with my finger.

Post Thanks / Like
    What have you tried besides washing it?

You`re going to get 1,000 different answers on this thread, and at least 850 of them will be viable options. It would help if you narrowed it down by telling us what you know doesn`t work.

But what the hell, I`ll take the first crack at it.

1) Clay

2) Klasse AIO

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a little hard to tell from those pics. It doesn`t really look like CC failure. Do you hose the car off and let the water dry on there? It looks like it might be mineral deposits that you might get on a car that has no wax where the water sheets out and dries--a lot of times. Or it could just be built-up environmental film.

I`m guessing you`re a newb who has no experience or equipment/supplies. If I`m right in my guess you`d like to do something about this yourself if you can, go down to Wal-Mart and get a couple of buckets, some car wash shampoo, a nice plush wash mitt or pad, one or two of the big MF drying towels, a few of the Microtex Detailing Towels, some terry or MF applicators, and a bottle of Meguiar`s SwirlX. Give the car a good wash with the two-bucket method (search), dry it, and try the SwirlX on some spots with the applicators. Remove residue with the detailing towels. If it looks like new, go back to Wal-Mart and pick yourself out a wax, and go back and finish the car with the SwirlX and complete the job with a wax. Warning: This could be a lot of work by hand, you might want to break it up over a few sessions.

EDIT: Oops...forgot the clay. The first time you are at WM, pick up a clay kit and try that first, after washing. That may take off some/all of your problem. Follow up any problem areas (or the whole thing) with the SwirlX, and then you can just finish up with the cleaner wax in the clay kit...only one trip to Wal-Mart!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I was just about to post that: I am a newb. I am just trying to find a place to answer my questions since google has failed me (except in getting here).

Thanks for the posts so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture looks pretty weird. I agree with ^^^. If it is mineral deposits or some sort of acid rain then the clay bar may be a solution, but buying a bottle of SwirlX wont hurt either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use a wax as you dry product? I tried out one of those products and it left lines on my hood as the water was dripping. I used Poli-Seal and it came off really easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    a friend of mine has a small spot on his jeep like that, not so much water spots but some type of staining. I`ve tried everything except wetsanding but ive tried so much buffing I don`t want to try sanding considering all the buffing ive tried. I don`t know if your in the same boat as me but I have not found the cure...YET

Post Thanks / Like
    has the car ever been clayed and/or polished before?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not saying this is what it but....

That is what clear coat that has been unable to off gas completely before being waxed/sealed looks like. It becomes cloudy looking, and in some instances milky white. I`ve had a bunch of experience in this area, mostly when using two-part aliphatic urethanes ("Clear Coat") as a floor surface over stained concrete.

Anyway, when it`s waxed or sealed while it`s still trying to off-gas *very* tiny (like smaller than the point of a pin) gas bubbles form in the clear coat, giving it a murky or milky look.

Was the car repainted sometime in the past six months?
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    We need to hear what has been done to this paint, if anything. I think it looks like oxidation and waterspotting ... (mineral deposits) And I also agree with someone who said the wax and you dry product could cause a similar look.

Either way, It does not look permanent to me but will take some polishing to get rid of.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me it looks like you washed the car outside and the sun dried the soap before you had a chance to rinse it.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m leaning towards oxidation... Regardless of what it is, polishing would probably fix it. You can read up here (A LOT) and purchase a kit or find someone here who is local and see if they can come out and figure out what it is and potentially pay them for their service...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so today I have:

Washed the car using the two bucket method.

Clayed the top surfaces

Applied SwirlX to the top surfaces

Waxed using the oh so conveniently provided wax in the clay kit (Meguiars)

I`ve got to say that it certainly helped.

Just a quick sidebyside comparison. Edit: Oops. Picasa doesn`t want to cooperate.

So far I`ve just been aiming for a clear reflection.

I don`t think the car has ever been clayed or polished.

It has never been repainted.

I`m leaning towards what Bufferbarry has said. A long time ago, maybe the previous owner or even myself washed the car and newbly didn`t do it in the shade or didn`t rinse the soap off in time. I`m also leaning towards what Setec said, because the car has not been waxed in a -very- -very- long time and has sat through the storms for the past year or two. I did what Setec Astronomy suggested and these are my results, so far.

I`m definitely setting up a regular maintenance schedule after this.

Despite the obvious change in season in the pictures, it was not photo shopped, the older photos were taken in the winter.

Finally, I`d like to thank everyone who helped in this thread and everyone who took an interest. If anyone has any further tips as to how I could maybe improve my work then please leave a post. I don`t have access to an electric buffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nuclear Fallout? Ok i will be serious, looks like it may have been repainted and there was some sort of reaction to something on the basecoat. Has the car been like this for long? Or did you just buy the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pictures aren`t working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information