Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have the link to the video of Mike Phillips showing how he washes a Mini Cooper? Spent 20 minutes searching for it, but no luck.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s it!!! :2thumbs::thx

Post Thanks / Like
    David why would want to see this video? Need to learn how to wash a car?

LOL I wish I knew a third (1/3) of what you know I would be happy

Post Thanks / Like
    HaHa - It`s completely the opposite way that I do things, but it`s got some great info. I have a couple of clients that could benefit from it. Much easier to send a link showing hands on washing instead of describing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video. After watching it, I have a few questions.

1. Mike talks about not scrubbing but just 1 or maybe 2 passes with the mitt over each area. Do people do this on a very dirty car and find that it actually works?
    2. I have the Absorber and as Mike said it leaves tiny drops of water behind. I know everyone talks about using WW only but the Absorber can be wrung out when using it on a large SUV. Would you still recommend a chamois or synthetic chamois first?
    3. Other than the stiffness, is there much difference between the natural chamois and the Absorber?

Thanks! :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s great video and i`ll be sending this link to a few friends...

This mini is well maintained, so one or two passes is all that`s needed.

ONR method would be easy and even less invasive.

Some of the cars i clean are extremely filthy and neglected and have

to use a degreaser. Working panel by panel. I`d like to see a video of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Durddy
    Great video. After watching it, I have a few questions.

1. Mike talks about not scrubbing but just 1 or maybe 2 passes with the mitt over each area. Do people do this on a very dirty car and find that it actually works?
    2. I have the Absorber and as Mike said it leaves tiny drops of water behind. I know everyone talks about using WW only but the Absorber can be wrung out when using it on a large SUV. Would you still recommend a chamois or synthetic chamois first?
    3. Other than the stiffness, is there much difference between the natural chamois and the Absorber?

Thanks! :2thumbs:

I do not know if Mike would recommend the absorber now.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta preface this... I have a *ton* of respect for Mike Phillips. There`s only a handful of people I`ve learned as much from as I have from Mike.

And I couldn`t disagree with his wash method more.

/rant on

Yes, it is somewhat better than most people`s wash technique, but it is not quite the mar free method the video states it is.

I`m not bringing this up to be argumentative at all. It`s because the "two bucket method" (of which the video is a variant) has become *too* popular; people read that the "two bucket method" of washing cars is car washing Nirvana. They learn "the method", breathe a deep sigh of relief in knowing that their days of swirls are gone, and diligently mar the crap out of their cars.

ANYTIME YOU TRAP AN ABRASIVE PARTICLE (ANYTHING ON YOUR PAINT) UNDER A WASH MEDIA AND DRAG IT ACROSS YOUR PAINT YOU ARE GOING TO MAR IT. <Insert standard ONR disclaimer here>

If you think the "lubricity" in your car soap is enough to prevent those abrasives from having their way with your clear coat, remember that (proportionately) every abrasive car polish has far, far more lubrication for it`s abrasives than a car soap could ever be able to supply to the abrasive dirt on your car. And the dirt particles (abrasives) are an order of magnitude larger than the abrasives in the most nasty compounds! Lubrication (when used with an abrasive) *does not* prevent the abrasive from scratching, it just helps the abrasive scratch more uniformly, while creating less heat.

Scratching is very simple: If an abrasive particle comes into contact with a surface softer than itself, and is then drawn across this surface, it will scratch it. Lubrication will help provide a more uniform scratch.

/rant off
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Thread Information