Post Thanks / Like
    I am detailing a 2009 audi A4 S4 tomorrow and I am pretty sure that it has black b-pillars (correct me if im wrong), but when i tried to polish the swirls out of my car, the b-pillars got really hazy. Was I using too harsh of a compound? I used scratchx (old version) on an orange 4 inch LC pad on speed 3-4 with a PC. What would be the correct method to do this and how harsh of a compound do i need to use? Also, should I do an IPA wipe down (50/50 mixture) on this car? It is my first time doing this, so should i experiment with my car first then do it on customer`s cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    I typically use P085RD on a finishing pad, or Lime Prime. I always do an IPA wipe down to prevent the possibility that your polish filled light swirls, or hologramming. It would be a very bad thing to leave on a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not doing a full detail. He just wants a wash, wax and for me to clean up the interior a bit. Thank you for the input though, I will need to invest in that next time I order anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    so are you asking a question about your car or the audi? Generally, the painted sections of a B pillar can be taped up and tackled with a medium/light polish, preferabbly with a small polishing pad. The paint is different than the rest of the panels and should be treated a little differently IMO. I have similar panels on my GTI. Even hand polishing with an AIO would be a good idea. They`re usally pretty easy to clean up and end up looking new again. Don`t go harsh on these or any other painted pieces that are different than the main body panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dublifecrisis
    so are you asking a question about your car or the audi? Generally, the painted sections of a B pillar can be taped up and tackled with a medium/light polish, preferabbly with a small polishing pad. The paint is different than the rest of the panels and should be treated a little differently IMO. I have similar panels on my GTI. Even hand polishing with an AIO would be a good idea. They`re usally pretty easy to clean up and end up looking new again. Don`t go harsh on these or any other painted pieces that are different than the main body panels.

Im asking for the audi, but i tried the polish on my car and it made them fade a lot. So, to clean my b-pillars up on my 06 jetta GLI i used megs #7 and 3m performance finish and it cleaned up alright, but not perfectly. The swirls in mine were pretty difficult to remove, but since the guy`s audi i am doing tomorrow is BRAND new, I dont think it will be badly swirled. I was just wondering if i was doing something wrong or something. Sorry to be a little confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The black "B" pillars on our Audis are plastic. I use mild polishes on them. Don`t overdo polishing them lest you go through the outer layer, the part that seems like "black paint". Don`t use harsh abrasives lest you instill new marring that`ll be a bigger PIA to remove than what`s there now.

For a quickie job on somebody`s new Audi, I`d probably use a mildly abrasive, filler-rich product like 1Z WPS or maybe Autoglym SRP (preceded by a polishing if they`re really marred up) and top with Collinite wax.

Thread Information