Post Thanks / Like
    I just washed a couple of rather large bird bombs off and noticed what looks like raised etching. I know it sounds weird but that`s exactly what it is. I`ve tried a wax and mild polish to no effect. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dren
    I just washed a couple of rather large bird bombs off and noticed what looks like raised etching. I know it sounds weird but that`s exactly what it is. I`ve tried a wax and mild polish to no effect. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I noticed a large dropping in the rear fender and it was totally baked in by the hot sun - 30-40 celsius! (for about 10-15 mins max as I was out and about and did not notice it before hand).

I removed it with some Quick detailer and microfiber, but unfortunately left some marring, and some above surface etching. I polished it with Autoglym Super Resin Polish a few times but the next day it was back again.

So what I finally did was to use a small dab of medium rubbing compound and polished it on. After 2 polishes on the spot itself, I actually manage to remove the above surface etching and everything was back to normal.

After that, of course, I polished, sealed and rewaxed the spot.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically, the acids in the do-do ate through the clearcoat paint. The only way to fix it is to repaint the entire panel. Looks pretty deep

How long did it sit there prior to washing and was there any fresh wax/sealant on your vehicle?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll try some rubbing compound next I suppose. It`s a work car so I`m not going to get too uptight about it. At least it`s clear.

David, it`s difficult to tell from the picture but the etching is actually raised. It`s above the paint surface. I`m not sure that you can actually call it etching or not. I just don`t know what else to call it since it`s on top of the paint surface.

I could have been there for up to 4 or 5 days. I was off of work and it gets parked out of the way when I`m off. I guess it`ll have to stay on if rubbing compound won`t get it off. It`s not really that noticeable to the layperson. Budget cutbacks won`t allow for fixing something as unnoticeable as this. It`ll bug the heck out of me until I get a new car though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Information