Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paco

If you have tried LTT and LM products with no success it does not mean that the products do not work simply that the problem is not a `cleaning` one and the dye transfer is more severe or has been on too long. Removing dye transfer is a process with up to 5 steps. The LTT dye transfer kit is a process of 2 stages. These are the first 2 steps that technicians always take when repairing this type of problem. In most cases these first 2 steps will resolve the problem but if it doesn`t then you have to move onto the next stages which involve solvents and then recolouring. The first steps can be undertaken as a DIY method but then requires technical knowledge beyond that.

Once the dye has been on the leather for some time OR if the dye is a very aggressive one (this you will have no way of telling) it will have moved into the finish on the leather and will be much harder to get rid of. Once you are at this stage there is nothing that will remove it without damaging the finish on the leather which will then need replacing. You can have the area recoloured and refinished and sometimes this is the only route to go down.

It is far better to protect your leather from the start (or after you have the recolouring process done) to help inhibit this type of problem from occuring. A good quality fluorcarbon protector (There are very few effective protectors on the market please test them as some products claiming to be protectors do not work at all) together with regular cleaning will not allow the build up of dye transfer on pale leather.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok just finished cleaning my leather with Leatherique PC and the seats came like new except couple of blue areas from my jeans.

Do you think I would be able to take it off with a steamer and APC?

Post Thanks / Like
    magic eracer takes it right off

Post Thanks / Like
    Magic erasers also remove the finish in the process and should only be used for cleaning if the top finish is going to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the Leather Doctor products that claim to remove those ink transfer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Judy for the info.

Eligran,

Tried it.. didn`t help my cause. Good product for ink though, had a valet that left an ink stain in a BMW tan leather and a couple of applications poof, it was gone.
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information