Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a jeep Wrangler with almost gray fender flairs that I want to correct. I put Armor All on them often but it fades easily with rain/sun. I have heard good things about Mothers Back to Black and Black Wow Trim Restorer. Has anybody used these? Do they last?

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Black Wow and Poorboys`s World Trim Restorer. I`d say apply 2-3 thin layers of each, with maybe a few hours inbetween coats. Both made a tremendous difference in the trim on my car and my customer`s cars. I prefer the Poorboy`s product because it`s a LOT more economical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers B2B does work good. Just be sure to thoroughly work the product into the surface. It`s not just a wipe on product like armor-all, you have to rub it in and buff off excess once dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to black is worthless imo. That`s stuff didn`t last at all and imo didn`t go as far as other dressing in terms of much it spreads.

You might want to look into using a dye instead of a dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the worst case, you can repaint them using "OEM Black" spray paint. Otherwise in my experience TW Ice Liquid does a good job on black trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoudyL
    In the worst case, you can repaint them using "OEM Black" spray paint. Otherwise in my experience TW Ice Liquid does a good job on black trim.

Or he could use trim dye specifically forumlated to restore black trim to it`s orginal black color.

OP, leatherqiue has a black dye you can use. Then just protect with 303 Aerospace every 2-3 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mother`s B2B is junk. Dosen`t work most of the time and dosen`t last long any of the time. The issue with dressing it back to a black finish is no matter what you do it`s all temporary. I would suggest re-dyeing it back to the OEM black. Using SEM`s plastic and leather dye. That way you`re looking at a more permanent fix rather than just adding a coating to it every couple of weeks or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCoach
    I`ve used Black Wow and Poorboys`s World Trim Restorer. I`d say apply 2-3 thin layers of each, with maybe a few hours inbetween coats. Both made a tremendous difference in the trim on my car and my customer`s cars. I prefer the Poorboy`s product because it`s a LOT more economical.

Did the Poorboys World Trim Restorer work as well as the Blackwow. If it does or is very close then I would rather save the money as I think $25 for a small bottle of Blackwow is too much unless it is clearly the better product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently went through the same frustration.

I used the mother back to black, total waste of money and time. I ended up using meguiars natural shine as a temporary fix....

I`ve been told that Black-Wow is a good product.

I`m going to end up pulling my black trim pieces and painting them.

Good luck, I would just paint them satin black or something of the sort. Nice Jeep by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is to remove the flares, clean them with TSP to remove years of previous dressing (definitely use gloves and goggles/TSP is no joke). Let dry and repaint with a Duplacolor spray paint designed for rubber/plastic. Tri-Sodium Phospate

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Black Wow with great success. Don`t let that price scare you off. It will last you quite a long time (assuming you use it VERY sparingly). I almost liken it to be like the M16 of trim dressings.

HTH,

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used PB`s trim restorer yet, but I did buy a bottle of Black Wow.

See the results for yourself.

As most have mentioned, it is temporary, but Black wow does last. And even though it did fade with time, it still repels water (surprisingly). It does seem pricey, and is a small bottle, but it goes a LONG way.

The longevity of your supply will be contingent on how much trim you have to cover, the amount you use, frequency of applications etc.

I did not have high expectations, but was impressed with it once I used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Leatherique Rubber Black for black vinyl and rubber trim. It does an outstanding job, and holds up to the elements of the environment.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    These moldings need paint! Why play around? mask off and paint with your choice Krylon works great! I get 250.00 to paint moldings on a Jeep. Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting a trim restorer to mainly darken up the lower plastic side skirts on a 02 Volvo S80 that is pretty faded and have turned light gray in many areas that I will be detailing next week. I am still trying to make a decision. It is not something I am going to be using much as my personal vehicles don`t need it and would be mainly used for other peoples cars I detail if it is needed. I am leaning more to the PB because of price and amount that you get but I my only worry is that I get it and it does not work well for some reason and I have to order Blackwow and it would have been a waste of money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information