Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Like many of you, I am honing my detailing skills and am ready to try them on someone else`s car. I have done a couple of jobs for family (mother-in-law and my father) for free, but what do you charge friends? I was thinking about charging them the cost of materials, since I`m kind of using them for advertising, but was also thinking maybe I`d ask them to re-up me on a bottle of wax or polish, is that a fair price?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I charge friends $50-100. It`s enough to say, hey I am serious about this, but not so much that they think they are getting reamed.

If you do 4-10 jobs like that, you can afford to buy some fairly professional tools and products and get going with some paid clients.

If I am working on some new process (like leather cleaning, or trim restoration) then I charge them for product costs only plus an hour labor. They don`t get a detail out of it, but they get something cleaned up nicely, and you get a test car.

I am sure there will be varying thoughts on this, but this is what I`ve done, and it`s never been a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you are going to charge materials, the way *I* charge for that is like so:

If I open it you get to pay for it...not just what I use, the whole bottle...so If its 32oz bottle of Menzerna SIP that I open or use, they get charged the full price for that 32oz bottle. Same for wax, If I use it they get to pay for a brand new bottle of product used.

You can this way make a little money off of them, get to hoan your skills, and aren`t out a thing. If its a single stage car, they get to pay for pads as well...

I dont charge friends labor, just material cost like above. Paying clients get to pay full price (by the hour)

edit:

typically they dont want a full detail, they just want an AIO like Poli-seal or something like 106FA via white pad for a quick clean up. But if they want a complete detail then yah they pay, nothing in life is free, except for the mom-in-law and the mom/dad

Post Thanks / Like
    my closest friends i might give about 10-15 bucks off my regular prices or i might do whatever they want at a discounted hourly labour rate ...

but if it was a full $170 detail for 9 hours i dont think i could afford to charge any less than $155 ... because then im not making much and using a ton of cleaning agents and supplies ....

i still have to go thru my whole detail bag and tally up the value of all my materials and then guestimate how many cars each product can do ... and re evaluate my prices !

Post Thanks / Like
    I just get fed for free and that`s about it. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, like many above, try to get some free products + some pay out of it. While they might not pay the full price, I`ll charge them enough to cover what i used (full bottle of polish or few pads or whatnot), plus enough to cover my time spent (If i`m going to spend a few hours, I want enough to fill up my car with gas + eat for example).

they`re still getting outstanding service at a discounted price, and i`m not raping myself. it`s win-win.
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends....................$50 I really can`t charge more. Thats why they are called FRIENDS wait till you need them !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    150 flat for a two step and only on a day where I have nothing else going on!

Post Thanks / Like
    This might be one of those "it`s just me" things that doesn`t resonate with anybody else, but...

I hardly *ever* do this stuff for friends and the only relatives I cared about are long dead, but I have a few friends with really cool cars who can`t do the work themselves for various reasons.

I do `em for the cost of materials, no charge for my labor. And my labor is sometimes extensive (as in, day; I`ll have dozens of hours in on the `60 Jag MKII before it`s ready for the show season).

I simply keep social stuff separate from business/financial/money period. Yeah, they can spring for dinner or something and I won`t argue, but I only expend time/effort for friends because they *are* my friends, I don`t want any monetary compensation for it.

If doing the work were such a big deal that I wanted paid, I wouldn`t do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I give family, and very close friends 50-65% off..After seeing the work I do they spread my name (best way to promote a business), and Im also gaining experience and putting some money in my pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.

What got me thinking abut this was a friend that has 2 yellow Mazda`s, both with dull paint. I was thinking about charging $50 (from everyone`s feedback a fair rate) to do the Miata, which would re-up me on a bottle of polish, a pad, and some clay. Since it is a small car I would do the interior as well the headlights, but would not plan to remove scratches, just shine up the paint. If he wants to do the MX-5, that would be a little more. The plus for me is eveyone at work could see the results, hopefully provide more work.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on just charging for materials.

Mainly, I look at it like this. I get practice, I get the materials paid for, I get advertisement ( I make them hand out cards), and I dont have to ride around in their dirty *** cars lol.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    True that Brandon1! (is that phrase still allowed?)

Went to lunch in a friend`s Lexus yesterday and I was `````ing at him that the interior needed to be cleaned (a few coffee drips and scuff marks on the leather). He said he had taken his parents to the airport that morning and they were commenting on how clean the the inside of the car was!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with charging for the product. For example, I`m looking to buy a headlight restoration kit for $20. I plan on testing it out on my father inlaws car because his lights are horrible. I might charge him or might not, but I know he`ll spread word of mouth, pass out business cards, and I`ll take pictures of his car for whenever I get a website(who knows).

Post Thanks / Like
    just enough to charge for materials plus lunch (which usually happens after the car is taped up before polishing). works out both ways
    GLENN | BLACK PLEASE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information