Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if a 1982 mazda rx-7 has single stage paint or clear? I might be able to get my hands on one for $500 and the paint is in bad shape, I was thinking of wetsanding the whole thing if it was single stage because after 6 years outside im not sure how much clear is left if it has it.

Post Thanks / Like
    it is single stage paint!
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks barry, I suspected it was being from 1982 but I just wanted to double check.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the RX-7 .... Wish I still had mine. Does it still run? Good find.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    At the moment no but all it needs is a new carb which he is giving to me for free, brand new out of the box, after that he said it will run. Im just worried about the frame being rotted because of the moisture coming up from the ground and all. The largest obstacle for me right now is my parents, im 17 and going to college soon so another car is the last thing they want me to have, but being an older car I will get the lowest possible insurance because they would give me nothing if I totaled it. Also a friend of mine has a barn I might be able to store it in for the winter months. If this all pans out ill get a topic going, but dont get your hopes up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irkie500
    The largest obstacle for me right now is my parents, im 17 and going to college soon so another car is the last thing they want me to have, but being an older car I will get the lowest possible insurance because they would give me nothing if I totaled it.

What makes the insurance expensive is not the cost of totaling the car, but the fact that you are a 17yo male.

What the insurco is worried about is your $250,000 liability policy, to cover situations where you hit/kill/injure other people and property. Males under 25 are far more (roughly 4x more) likely to do this than average motorists.

Since you are going to college, you won`t need a car, and there is no reason to pay the hefty insurance rates for <18, and/or <25yo males when you don`t need to.

Listen to your parents. Last thing you need in life is to be pouring money into a non-working 27 year old car, or killing yourself while driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will need a car for college and I have one this car would be purely a summer car to enjoy. I guess I would have to call my insurance company to find out the actual quote. Yes I am 17 but it would be stored in a secure barn for more than half the year and driven lightly in the summer, weekends mostly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Irkie500- I`m on my second 1st-gen RX-7 (my first was an `81 that was my daily driver for a year or two when I was in college).

As BufferBarry said, it`s single stage *IF* it`s the original paint. The paint on those is/was *VERY* fragile and most have been repainted by now. You hardly *ever* see those with decent original paint (that`s what makes my 24K mile one so special )...

I wouldn`t wetsand it, especially if it`s a metallic; doing so will likely precipitate failure.

I`d be sure your driving is up to snuff (done any track work lately?) as the snap-oversteer on those cars can surprise some people (well, it`ll catch *anybody* who`s not properly trained). Once you get your driving technique dialed in you`ll probably really like it, but most people I know find them just a little scary for such a modestly powered, well-balanced little thing. Heh heh..I seem to be the only person on earth who likes how they drive on slick surfaces. Most folks think they handle great right up until you really have to *drive* for a moment or two, and no, that`s *NOT* a car you want to get in an accident with. My first one got T-boned by a dummy pulling out of an alotment and the results weren`t pretty....sure glad he hit the passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of track work I took my G6 GT to watkins geln for opening day, took a chicane at 65 mph I am by no means a pro racer but I can control myself quite well.

The cars paint is original I know for a fact its just heavily oxidized from sitting outside for so many years. Its not metallic from what I could tell, it was a solid red color but the oxidation might have coverd that up.

Also I was thinking of stripping the whole thing and getting a roll cage built and put in for it, my neighbor just built a pipe bender that would be able to handle the task. Then get a racing seat and harness, car crash solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had my RX-8 to 130 and had about 20mph left. I`d love to get it on a track because they handle so well. They need to turbo the rotary. That would give about 50 more hp. Hope things work out.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Irkie500- The solid red might clean up well. I`d consider doing a quick round with a paint cleaner to remove the oxidation *before* the usual clay/polish routine. The chemical cleaners can do wonders as a 1st step in this case.

Glad to hear you have some on-track experience. Though I`ll still caution that the unexpected event can take people by surprise and if you get weight-transfer started in the RX-7 it`ll behave differently from most cars and a whole *LOT* differently than your G6

If/when you get it and have it running, just take it out in the rain and play around with getting the rear end loose via the brakes and you`ll get the hang of it. The lack of ABS isn`t any big deal IMO unless you`re on glare ice (and even then good tires work wonders).

Putting a cage in would kill the car as a nice driver IMO, I`m more in favor of not getting in wrecks in the first place I think you`ll agree after you spend some time in it.

MDRX8- One of the things that drive me nuts about so many cars (including my RX-7s and my wife`s 3rd-gen one) is that I can`t fit in them with a helmet on How`s the RX-8 in that regard?

Heh heh, seems like the only time I`m on a track these days is when I`m in some huge, and frustratingly slow, sedan (gotta get recertified this autumn too). It`d be fun to spend a few afternoons playing with a little lightweight...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of places that I could practice getting the end loose, and im sure ill need some new tires if I get it because lets be honest could tires really not rot after 6 years of sitting?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would cost me about 240 for new tires all round, it helps when they are 13 inch rims.

Also to the person who had a first gen, where do I get aftermarket wheels I cant seem to find any on google.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irkie500
    ].. lets be honest could tires really not rot after 6 years of sitting? ...It would cost me about 240 for new tires all round, it helps when they are 13 inch rims...

Sometimes you`d be surprised, I have the original wheels/tires for my /85 Jag and while I sure wouldn`t run them for a long trip or a track day, they`re in fine shape for shows/etc.

But yeah...just sitting (no rotating/etc.) is awfully hard on a tire and sometimes they just don`t go back to "round".

And yeah...for $240 that`s cheap insurance so why not?

..Also to the person who had a first gen, where do I get aftermarket wheels I cant seem to find any on google.

Yours has the "small" wheels/tires like my `81 did. I just ran factory wheels on that car (easy to buy the winter set at the dealer back then).

The `84 I have now is a GSL-SE that takes 14" wheels with a different (five lug) bolt-pattern, and I`m not sure about what yours/my `81 would use :think: I *do* know that you have more options than I do (with my `84).

Here`s a link you might find helpful: 1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) - RX7Club.com . Sorry I don`t have a direct answer...

Thread Information