Thread: SS Silverado

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a truck I did today, this truck had pretty bad water spots on the surface, and the owner didn`t want me to compound the car right now, so I just used a glaze.

Process: Total Time 7 hours and 45min

Washed with Dawn soap

Dried with mf towels

Wheels cleaned with a presoak and tires dressed with More Shine

Mothers Machine Glaze with 5.5 in css white pad

Meguiars Ultimate Detail Spray (Prep pads)

First Step Taping

Before shot of railing with waterspots

After shot of railing

Just for fun dirt in the carpet after LGM

Wheels

After everything

Thanks for Looking! Feel free to comment or point things out!
    United States Air Force

Missile Maintenance Technician

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Dustin, looks like your improving!

Did you clean the wheel barrels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar752
    Good job Dustin, looks like your improving!

Did you clean the wheel barrels?

Thanks haha, wheels barrels? you mean inside the wheels? no I didn`t I was going to at the car wash and ended up convincing my self I would just put it on the lift at the shop and clean the insides really good, being in a rush at the end because of the big rain storm approaching I had to skip it to get it back to the owner in time, I only charged him $85 for complete detail besides engine and with the four hours just in getting rid of all his water spots haha, What chemicals do you use for that? A reg. degreaser?
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailnByDustn
    Thanks haha, wheels barrels? you mean inside the wheels? no I didn`t I was going to at the car wash and ended up convincing my self I would just put it on the lift at the shop and clean the insides really good, being in a rush at the end because of the big rain storm approaching I had to skip it to get it back to the owner in time, I only charged him $85 for complete detail besides engine and with the four hours just in getting rid of all his water spots haha, What chemicals do you use for that? A reg. degreaser?

Yep, I mean the inside. And I use P21S, but I need to find something cheaper. It costs way too much for how much I use it.

I completely understand running out of time, and you gave him a deal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I mean the inside. And I use P21S, but I need to find something cheaper. It costs way too much for how much I use it.

O okay, I bet the mothers power ball would make short work with that or just a mf towel soaked with a little rubbing alcohol, Really? Around were a live a lot of people wont pay but so much for their car getting detailed, and I gave him a discount for having a pretty sexy car haha
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like

You should be charging alot more. I`d charge at least $60 just for a hand wash, with wheels/tires spray cleaned/dressed, claying and 1 application of cleaner wax. The interior work should go for about $40.

You time on the machine with compounds etc should go for about $30/hr. The newly polished car is going to need an fresh coat of wax/glaze.

And the silverado is a large car, so you should charge more for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that`s a really nice garage. I would love to have that kind of room, lift, and lighting...the only thing missing is a wash bay with a floor drain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoudyL
    You should be charging alot more. I`d charge at least $60 just for a hand wash, with wheels/tires spray cleaned/dressed, claying and 1 application of cleaner wax. The interior work should go for about $40.

You time on the machine with compounds etc should go for about $30/hr. The newly polished car is going to need an fresh coat of wax/glaze.

And the silverado is a large car, so you should charge more for that.

Yeah.. I wish I got that much for it, do you tell your customers before detailing a estimate of what it will cost or just call them if it looks like it will take a lot more time to buff?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Wow that`s a really nice garage. I would love to have that kind of room, lift, and lighting...the only thing missing is a wash bay with a floor drain...

Haha thanks dad built it when he was working on his hotrods now hes scrambling since the economy is down, he use to be in selling property near sc and since the economy is down we went to car washes haha. We have a wash bay with a floor drain but the water faucet is broken :furious:
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`DetailnByDustn`]Yeah.. I wish I got that much for it, do you tell your customers before detailing a estimate of what it will cost or just call them if it looks like it will take a lot more time to buff?

Some things you can quote over the phone, and other things require you to look at the vehicle before quoting a price on it. People will be very pissed if you end up taking longer than expected or charging more than expected.

You may want to split your services into maintaince detailing, and show car/restoration services.

You really want to get a basic process down, because everything else builds off of that. You really aren`t earning jack if you are charging $80 for 8hours of work, while using premium chemicals and equipment. You might as well work at McDonalds.

The main focus should be on doing a good hand wash, getting the wheels/tires reasonably clean, claying and then applying a solid coat of carnauba cleaner wax topped with QD-spray.

Also, you need to quit experimenting on customers cars. I`ve now figured out a possible why that mustangs finish looked so dull. Was this was the car you "experimented" on with the Yellow pad?

I`d bet $85, that all that Mustang needed was the machine glaze on a white pad, followed by polish on a white pad, then mothers S&G, and two coats of NF carnauba wax. All of that would be "show car services" and billed accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoudyL
    [quote name=`DetailnByDustn`]Yeah.. I wish I got that much for it, do you tell your customers before detailing a estimate of what it will cost or just call them if it looks like it will take a lot more time to buff?

Some things you can quote over the phone, and other things require you to look at the vehicle before quoting a price on it. People will be very pissed if you end up taking longer than expected or charging more than expected.

You may want to split your services into maintaince detailing, and show car/restoration services.

You really want to get a basic process down, because everything else builds off of that. You really aren`t earning jack if you are charging $80 for 8hours of work, while using premium chemicals and equipment. You might as well work at McDonalds.

The main focus should be on doing a good hand wash, getting the wheels/tires reasonably clean, claying and then applying a solid coat of carnauba cleaner wax topped with QD-spray.

Also, you need to quit experimenting on customers cars. I`ve now figured out a possible why that mustangs finish looked so dull. Was this was the car you "experimented" on with the Yellow pad?

I`d bet $85, that all that Mustang needed was the machine glaze on a white pad, followed by polish on a white pad, then mothers S&G, and two coats of NF carnauba wax. All of that would be "show car services" and billed accordingly.

Okay, haha, I agree, I do need to start charging more I have my prices on my website see if that`s better, I had to dummy it down a little so they would understand.

Here is the link: Pricing ?(Detailing By Dustin)?

If you see anything wrong let me know

I went by mothers guide it had all the signs needing to use a rubbing compound "Oxidation, scratches, and chemical spotting":. I do need to switch pads to a orange I shouldn`t have anymore cars like that for a while

The owner of the ss silverado came to me today and payed me $20 more dollars , felt a lot better haha
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    I sold my yellow pads on ebay and bought some orange pads works excellent love em!
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Thread Information