Post Thanks / Like
    What are you guy`s using to hand buff around tight spots(ie. under door handles) when compounding with say 105/205? Flex can`t get in these spots! All I find is finishing pads...(red`s) or not aggresive like yellow or orange. I got the usual scratches from nails around and under the door handles. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I just polish them by hand using those small round yellow foam aplicators, maybe not 100% perfect, but it works for me
    Domas Designs Logo Design, Graphic Design, Business Card/Letterhead design, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    they sell spot pads for just that reason, do a search for Excelerator pads, they are in most, if not all favored levels of aggressiveness.
    Fergy-

Your only as good as your last detail

Post Thanks / Like
    For areas you can`t reach by machine you just need to use products that work OK by hand. It`s a no-brainer now that Meguiar`s M105 and Ultimate Compound are on the market; this job now goes a *LOT* faster than it did before those products came out.

I`ve been removing nail scratches from behind Audi doors since forever...just takes time. With the M105 for the aggressive work it shouldn`t take all afternoon any more. Then follow up with some milder combo and educate your passengers so the nail scratches don`t happen again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, I know about the compounds it`s the pads I`m having trouble with? I tried to find some more aggresive pads to use with 105 or UC but I keep coming up with nothing but polishing pads and LSP pads. I guess the yellow pads are going to be what I will use I`m going to have to rely on the cutting power of the compound? Huh... On to the education, Accumulator you married... enough said. LOL My wife(with the nails) say her detailer(that would be me) always gets it out!! He likes challenges! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a flex also and the same concern -I was looking at getting a kit of foam and wool pads that attaches directly to your drill. I think they are 3 inches. -While I don`t mind doing things by hand, I find my wrists can`t revolve at 1500rpm....

(wow, I just left myself wide open for a bad joke..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Accumulator, I know about the compounds it`s the pads I`m having trouble with? I tried to find some more aggresive pads to use with 105 or UC but I keep coming up with nothing but polishing pads and LSP pads. I guess the yellow pads are going to be what I will use I`m going to have to rely on the cutting power of the compound?

I was thinking about areas *so tight* you wouldn`t be using pads at all but rather cloths (or maybe a cut-up piece of pad). Maybe I`m on the wrong track here :think:

I don`t use LC yellow foam hardly at all...and Meg`s yellow (e.g., like the 8006) might not be aggressive enough. The last time I used foam for a tight area I tore up an orange light-cut pad and used that with M105 for the aggressive initial work (worked well too). But generally I use cotton terry towels and then switch to MF or foam waxing pads after I get the worst of it done.

If something`s *really* bad I`ll wetsand with 3-4K and then take out the sanding marks (which is often easier than taking out deep scratches but you gotta watch how much you thin the clear).

.. Huh... On to the education, Accumulator you married... enough said. LOL My wife(with the nails) say her detailer(that would be me) always gets it out!! He likes challenges! Thanks

Heh heh, yeah...been married for 20 years. Zero problems with Accumulatorette marring up the cars (and I do mean *zero*). She transports a lot of people in her Audi too, including young kids...again, no problems. I figure that with all the people (and *dogs*) that get in and out of our cars, if we can avoid those "normal" scratches then so can anybody

Thread Information