Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    This always happens to me when I wax, I get some of the caranuba wax on the plastic trim and can`t seem to get it off. Any suggestions? Thanks for the tip

Post Thanks / Like
    mineral oil, or sometimes rubbing alcohol works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    First suggestion is switch to a wax that dosen`t do that. Pleanty of options out there that won`t cause this issue. But for the time being. I usually use glass cleaner to get out old wax from rubber trim. Rubbing alchol will work well too but it can dry out the rubber so treat accordingly afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peanut Butter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black Wow for me. I still have some Pre Wow but I wanna save it until Richard starts selling it for real

Post Thanks / Like
    IPA, Mineral Oil, APC, and agitation.

To avoid in the future, spread wax in the center of panel and work toward the edge, keep a MF on your shoulder and hit gaps/edges/trim with the MF as you go along, panel by panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually use an APC and agitate with a toothbrush (especially if it is "bumpy" plastic). If, after cleaning, it is faded or dull, I use the leatherique trim restorer dye that works very well and holds up for quite a while. I did my wife`s plastic trim at the bottom of her windshield about 4 months ago, and it is still holding strong and looking brand new.

In the future, maybe you can just tape around the trim. As said before, treat after cleaning.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well I tried the windex and a little green scrubby but it didn`t do as good of a job as I thought it would. I don`t think it there was alcohol in the windex though. I am also worried about the green scrubby making the plastic dull. does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to remove the rest of that white look and then some way to restore the nice black look? thanks for all the suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried several different things before as well and none of them worked on years old wax stains. What worked best (on the black trim all along the bottom of my wife`s white Honda Accord) was a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wet it, wring it out, and lightly rub it on the wax residue. It takes it right off, then wipe the area down and put some protectant on the trim. Viola, for about $1 you are done. Many oils (peanut butter for instance) and protectants will only mask the residue and it will come back. (in my experience) The Magic Eraser removed it completely and it`s never come back. Don`t rub too hard however as I`m sure you "could" dull an area if you rubbed really hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    My truck is my test dummy for everything so I can practice on it and not on the customer`s car. When learning to machine polish I slung some product on the bedliner`s black textured plastic and the tonneau cover. I tried all kinds of solvents, scotch brite pad, elbow grease, apc, etc, etc. I read on a thread in here somewhere to use a magic rub eraser. I couldn`t find that particular brand, although I know it`s out there somewhere. I went to Walmart and found the next closest thing, rubbed it on the affected areas and it worked out very well. It is the white rectangular eraser with cardboard around it to hold onto. I think it can be used for crafts and artwork and I found it in the school supplies area.

Don`t know if this process greyed the black textured areas or not as an after affect, but something did. I used a trim dressing product and it only lasted a few rains and went back to the same problem. I had to buy a dye to get it back to black and it lasted a whole lot longer. However, even dyes will only last so long.

Hope this helps!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Magic Eraser is awesome. I should try that too. Didn`t think of that at the time I had my problem

Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried any of the other methods mentioned above yet? there are quite a few. some of which you may already have around the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphman
    My truck is my test dummy for everything so I can practice on it and not on the customer`s car. When learning to machine polish I slung some product on the bedliner`s black textured plastic and the tonneau cover. I tried all kinds of solvents, scotch brite pad, elbow grease, apc, etc, etc. I read on a thread in here somewhere to use a magic rub eraser. I couldn`t find that particular brand, although I know it`s out there somewhere. I went to Walmart and found the next closest thing, rubbed it on the affected areas and it worked out very well. It is the white rectangular eraser with cardboard around it to hold onto. I think it can be used for crafts and artwork and I found it in the school supplies area.

Don`t know if this process greyed the black textured areas or not as an after affect, but something did. I used a trim dressing product and it only lasted a few rains and went back to the same problem. I had to buy a dye to get it back to black and it lasted a whole lot longer. However, even dyes will only last so long.

Hope this helps!!

To Murphman`s point, I`ve found the Mr Clean Magic Eraser more gentle than some of the generic brands of erasers. I would try a test spot to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lemon juice and a toothbrush. Nothing works better than citrus.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P-nut
    Lemon juice and a toothbrush. Nothing works better than citrus.

That`s one i haven`t tried yet, thanks!

If your toothbrush is going to actually touch the paint, you might consider getting an Extra Soft or Children`s Soft toothbrush. Then, do the "CD test" to make sure you won`t mar the paint.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information