Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a chance to try out my new PC 7424 I got for christmas today and I have a few questions. first Ill let you know what i used

Menzerna intensive polish with edge 2000 6 inch orange wave pad

Menzerna final polish 2 with edge 2000 6 inch white wave pad

Heres where the questions come in

1. does the counterweight matter that much? i was using 6 inch pads (or 6.5, whatever they are) and the counterweight says its for 5 inch pads. I seemed to have ALOT of vibration. i couldnt feel my hands after doing my decklid in 2 sections with each polish. Will a different counterweight help this?

2. how long should each polish be "worked" on each section. I have heard as long as 5 minutes. I have also read that the polish is "done" when it turns clear, which seemed to be between 30-40 seconds. Is this right? Should I keep "working" the polish after it turns clear?

Overall, I cant wait to see the decklid in the sunlight tomorrow. I put a coat of nattys blue wax on it and its a great color when its taken care of (Redfire metallic on my 03 cobra convertible)

Thanks for any help. If anything, it was a good first experience and I cant wait to get all my vehicles in tip top shape

Post Thanks / Like
    The counter weight won`t make a difference. Get rid of the edge pads, they are too big for the pc. Get some 5.5 pads with bp and even some 4" pads. On the other hand, if you are doing only your car and you like the results after inspecting in the sun, stay with it. I don`t know how bad your paint was when you started out, but if you had heavy swrils, I bet the Menz and edge pads did not remove all of it. Do your inspection and let us know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice so far...I have a question? How do you wait 5 months to check out "tha new toy"? METALLICA ROCKS

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... 6" pads are too big for the PC. Never seemed to be an issue for me, but interesting to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrib
    Good advice so far...I have a question? How do you wait 5 months to check out "tha new toy"? METALLICA ROCKS
    Living in illinois and our wonderful weather, 2 kids, and needing to order accessories for the "New toy". Thats how you wait 5 months LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    The counter weight won`t make a difference. Get rid of the edge pads, they are too big for the pc. Get some 5.5 pads with bp and even some 4" pads. On the other hand, if you are doing only your car and you like the results after inspecting in the sun, stay with it. I don`t know how bad your paint was when you started out, but if you had heavy swrils, I bet the Menz and edge pads did not remove all of it. Do your inspection and let us know.
    I have some 4 inch edge pads. I could probably do my whole cobra with them no big deal, but it would take forever to do the wifes tahoe and my megacab dodge with 4 inch pads. i dont see how the 1/2 inch difference between 5.5 and 6 inch is enough difference to matter?? Maybe I should sell the Pc and pick up a rotary?

Post Thanks / Like
    King Nothing- Sorta random thoughts follow:

Yeah, the 6" pads are too big; you can`t apply sufficient pressure without the machine merely "jiggling" and without the pressure the effort is distributed over too large an area to be effective.

5-5.5" pads are better in this regard but noting like 4" pads. 4" pads are *the* ticket for doing correction via PC.

I prefer the 6" counterweight with *all* sizes of pads but the diff in vibration isn`t all that significant to many people.

That "numb hands" thing sould be taken seriously. It can get severe and result in permanent nerve damage. Do a search on "white finger"...

I don`t use Menzerna polishes but most such products should be worked until they`re almost dry. A notable exception is the newest pair of polishes from Meguiar`s- M105 and M205, which are used a little differently (good stuff too, in case the Menzerna doesn`t do it for you).

4" pads aren`t that slow because they do the work. Going over an area countless times with larger pads isn`t really faster (note I have a DenaliXL...huge black thing with hard clear, and a minivan. I`ve done big vehicles with 4" pads on a PC ).

If you do want something that`ll cover ground faster than the PC/4", look into a Flex 3401. I like mine a *LOT* more than my rotaries.

Post Thanks / Like
    alright, so I just went out and did a few sections on my hood with the 4 inch yellow cutting pad and the menz intensive polish and it doesnt seem to be helping. I still have the spiderwebbing and it just doesnt seem like its doing anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Less than impressive results so far. Could it be that despite the positive reviews of the menzerna products they just arent enough to do the job? where should I be looking for my problem? My machine, pads, products? Should I look at a more agressive first step product than the intensive polish? if so, then what? I might order some more 4 inch pads and get rid of the 6 inchers I have

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing
    alright, so I just went out and did a few sections on my hood with the 4 inch yellow cutting pad and the menz intensive polish and it doesnt seem to be helping. I still have the spiderwebbing and it just doesnt seem like its doing anything

Then you just need a more aggressive product. The pad only does so much. I`ve taken out *serious* marring on very hard clear with 4" yellow pads.

Between 4" yellow and the LC PFW pads, you can take it right down to primer if you use the right product

I do spot-correction on the Audis/GM with 4" orange pads, and if I leave residual marring it`s because I don`t want to overthin the clear, not because the combo isn`t cutting. Get some M105 and I bet you`ll be a lot happier that IP just must not be up to the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I try some 4 inch edge wool pads as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I try some 4 inch edge wool pads as well?

Those didn`t work nearly as well as I`d expected (didn`t try `em with M105 thought..) and I did a *LOT* better with the harsh foam (yellow & orange).

But the LC PFW pads are definitely worth trying IMO. Man do they cut (gotta be a little careful...no heat build up can make you get crazy-aggressive ) and they finish out pretty well too.

Seriously, if you can`t do it with PC/PFW/M105 then it probably isn`t safe to do anyhow.

You could also try the Sur-Buf (?sp?) pads. I hear they`re even more aggressive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna order 12 oz size of 105 and 205 as well as some more 4 inch edge pads so i have one of each pad) and see if those work better. If not, Ill be selling the PC and picking up one of the vector rotarys

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna order 12 oz size of 105 and 205 as well as some more 4 inch edge pads so i have one of each pad) and see if those work better. If not, Ill be selling the PC and picking up one of the vector rotarys

Don`t actually *sell* the PC; you`ll need it for use after the rotary to eliminate holograms (or at least I do).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Those didn`t work nearly as well as I`d expected (didn`t try `em with M105 thought..) and I did a *LOT* better with the harsh foam (yellow & orange).

But the LC PFW pads are definitely worth trying IMO. Man do they cut (gotta be a little careful...no heat build up can make you get crazy-aggressive ) and they finish out pretty well too.

Seriously, if you can`t do it with PC/PFW/M105 then it probably isn`t safe to do anyhow.

You could also try the Sur-Buf (?sp?) pads. I hear they`re even more aggressive!

Big +1 on that. I would much rather use PC/PFW/M105 than PC/yellow foam/M105. The yellow foam LC pad can induce marring that is then extremely difficult to remove. The PFW, however, finishes out *much* better than the yellow foam, and it cuts better, too. If you want to use M105 with a foam pad, I`d use orange, green, white, or blue/grey/black/red (pretty much all the same).
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information