Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, this is my first post here, but I`ve been lurking around & reading as much as I can for a while now...

I am OCD about my cars` condition, & although I have them "professionally" clayed, polished, & waxed, I`m just not satisfied with the results. Even though I`m a noob, being the perfectionest that I am I know that if I buy a polisher I`ll get way better results myself. I`m looking for a low-priced & very safe polisher, & from all the reading I`ve done here & on other forums, the 4 that seem to be the "best" are the Ultimate Detailing Machine, Meguiar`s G110, Porter Cable 7424 (but I guess they`re taking a new model out?), & the Griot`s Random Orbital. I don`t need something super pro like a Flex or anything like that. Like I said, it`s just to take care of my own cars. I`ve heard that choosing the right polisher also has to do with the type of paint on your car, so FIY one of the cars is a Mercedes-Benz, but the one I`m really anal about & that I want to perfect the most is the Porsche with a very special metallic paint called Cobalt Blue Metallic & coming soon either an F360 or Gallardo. All of these cars have relatively soft paint, right? Sorry for the dumb questions, I mean I am a noob. Anyway, I`ve posted a picture below so you guys can help me choose which polisher would be best for this type of paint:

Thanks in advance,

Raphael P.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone??

I really need help. I know it`s been asked like a million times, but I`m still clueless & want to get the right polisher for my specific cars.

Also, any other advice as to pads, polishes, etc. will be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    RaphaelP- Welcome to Autopia! Rambling response follows...

First, I`d determine for certain how hard/soft the paint you`ll be working on *really* is. I`m not familiar with what you mentioned (even Porsches seem to change from hard/soft with differing model years and even different models within the same year), but I`d kinda *guess* that they`ll be on the hard side (except for the 360).

Benzes are typically hard ("ceramiclear"), Gallardos and other Lambos are perhaps likely to be Audi-hard these days. Somebody here oughta know or you could do the dreaded search and see what pros say when they do write-ups on those cars.

Somebody...(maybe SuperiorFine?) compared the Griot`s polisher with either a PC or a G110 and found the Griot`s lacking, *IRC*.

Also, I`m not sure if you can get small backing plates for the Griot`s to allow the use of 4" pads, which are almost always necessary for correction. Yep, the large pads you see advertised all the time are almost always too large to work effectively with these machines.

Heh heh...unless they`ve changed stuff *radically*, the Griot`s combo of their machine, their pads (note that their orange pads are completely different from anybody else`s orange pads), and their Machine Polishes is one *VERY* gentle setup, as in *too gentle* IMO. I like Griot`s for all sorts of stuff, but not for the polisher.

No experience with the UDM.

Don`t write off the Flex. But for a G110 (or their newer model), UDM, or PC, plan on using 4" pads for correction. It`s not a matter of doing "pro caliber work", but rather a matter of getting satisfactory results vs. merely wasting a whole lot of time with little to show for it. People tend to overestimate what these machines will do.

Pads and polish will depend on what you`re doing, and well...you know what they say about opinions I will say that some of the stuff that a lot of people here like turned out to be *NOT* user-friendly IME. Decide what you need to do and then it`ll be easy to come up with a short-list of products to choose from.

VERY short list of examples, all *very* user-friendly:

Aggressive: Meguiar`s M105

Medium: Meguiar`s M205

Medium/gentle: Meguiar`s M80

Gentle/mild: 1Z High Gloss

I haven`t tried the M205, but others I respect love it. The other three simply *work* IME.

Post Thanks / Like
    between the choices you`ve listed, get the G110...

Post Thanks / Like
    for what its worth

I have nowhere near the experience or knowledge as alot the members here, but I use a pc 7336sp, same as 7424 with different counter-weight. I have had good expericne with it and no real complaints. However if I was going to buy one today I would look long and hard at the G110 and 5/5.5"pads

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can afford it, get the Flex. The G110 has some added power over the UDM/PC 7424 but it isn`t *that* much. The upcoming PC 7424xx will have slightly more power than the G110 but it won`t be out for a month or so. All the cars you have mention tend to have paint on the hard side and the extra power of the Flex will make your details go faster and with better results. Obviously, a rotary will give you the best and fastest results but the learning curve is pretty steep.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    thats funny scott ! if he can afford it !!!! i think he can by the list of his cars!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onceaweekwaxer
    thats funny scott ! if he can afford it !!!! i think he can by the list of his cars!!!

You`d be suprised at what people think is "too expensive" based on what they are buying.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    G110. Ive been very happy with mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the Flex! You will be maintaining 3 cars and I`m sure you don`t want to be stuck in a garage all weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. From the 4 choices I listed, it seems that the G110 is the most liked. Why is that?

About the Flex, a couple of you said it will give me faster & better results due to more power. The "cutting" ability is exactly what I`m afraid of as I`m a complete noob at this & am really scared of damaging the paint. Do you guys think it`s as safe & easy to use as the ROs I listed? Is the G110 not capable of getting results as good as the Flex, or does it just take much longer? Of course time matters to me, but the safety & ease of use is more important.

Ok, so now it seems like my choices are between the G110 & the Flex, but need to know how safe & idiot-proof the Flex is, lol.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelP
    Thanks for the responses. From the 4 choices I listed, it seems that the G110 is the most liked. Why is that?

About the Flex, a couple of you said it will give me faster & better results due to more power. The "cutting" ability is exactly what I`m afraid of as I`m a complete noob at this & am really scared of damaging the paint. Do you guys think it`s as safe & easy to use as the ROs I listed? Is the G110 not capable of getting results as good as the Flex, or does it just take much longer? Of course time matters to me, but the safety & ease of use is more important.

Ok, so now it seems like my choices are between the G110 & the Flex, but need to know how safe & idiot-proof the Flex is, lol.

Thanks.
    Very safe. Similar to the rest, but twice the correction ability. Only a rotary will beat it, but a rotary has a learning curve.

Post Thanks / Like
    neither is totally idiot proof. there are both easy to use with a little commonsense. the g110 will give good results the flex will do it faster and with larger pads. if you use the method of least aggressive pads/polish you`ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t notice if anyone pointed out... there are two "Flex" polishers. One IS a random orbital and one IS a rotary. If I recall, the differences between the PC, G100 (?), and UDM are negligible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drew.haynes
    I didn`t notice if anyone pointed out... there are two "Flex" polishers. One IS a random orbital and one IS a rotary. If I recall, the differences between the PC, G100 (?), and UDM are negligible.
    Correct on the Flex and correct on the da`s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information