Post Thanks / Like
    First off, i have tried searching but, could someone explain to me exact what each of these things are intended for. I think m105 is used to put on a pad to get rid of swirls, then you finish up with 205 as a polish. Is this correct? what is the DG 111 and DG501? Are the DG product`s applied before or after the Meguiars? I`m just a little bit confused.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    105 is a compound, 205 is a swirl remover/polish, 501 is a heavy duty cleaner sealant, 111 is a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what exactly is a heavy duty cleaner sealant. sorry if this sounds like a real beginner

Post Thanks / Like
    DG501 is labeled as a polish. It has excellent cleaning properties, and leaves behind a layer of protection. You would use it right after claying and before paint correction. I do it with a white pad on a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Type Incredible
    So what exactly is a heavy duty cleaner sealant. sorry if this sounds like a real beginner

501 is a cleaner/sealant that has a stronger cleaner then the average cleaner/sealant/wax. It will clean the paint better then any other cleaner/sealant/wax. It also last longer then any other cleaner sealant/wax. It is a great 1 step product and great prep for other sealants/wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Type...Lawrence gave you the proper "short and sweet answer"

Terms/names can get kind of confusing between different manufacturers.

What`s used on this forum and the more proper terminology, trying to keep it simple.

A compound/polish is a product that has mechanical/physical abrasives in it. M105 & M205 are compound/polish.

DG501 (though called a polish on their site) isn`t what we`d really refer to as a polish (here at Autopia). There are no abrasives in it. As Lawrence said it`s a cleaner wax and a strong one at that. A cleaner wax has chemicals in it to help clean the paint. Things like etchings from water spots or bird bombs (if not too severe) can sometimes be removed with cleaner waxes. A great example is my car is white and runs rich, so the tail end of my car will get a black exhaust film on it. This film will not come off with regular car wash soap...but will come off with a cleaner wax like DG501. Many people like to use a cleaner wax AFTER they polish (with something like M105 & M205) their car, but BEFORE they apply the final sealant (DG111 is a final sealant). Just to make sure they get a perfectly clean surface before the final sealant is applied. A cleaner wax will also remove any residual polish that may have been left on the paint after you`ve polished.

To further complicate the explanation DG501 is a cleaner wax that also offers some protection, conceptually not as much as a proper sealant like DG111. So it can be used as just one step...to clean and offer some protection to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kopimon
    You would use it right after claying and before paint correction.

Incorrect. Why would you want to use a product that will leave something behind on the paint before you polish? You are just creating more work for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by frostydog
    Many people like to use a cleaner wax AFTER they polish (with something like M105 & M205) their car, but BEFORE they apply the final sealant (DG111 is a final sealant). Just to make sure they get a perfectly clean surface before the final sealant is applied. A cleaner wax will also remove any residual polish that may have been left on the paint after you`ve polished.

Correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, i have tried searching but, could someone explain to me exact what each of these things are intended for. I think m105 is used to put on a pad to get rid of swirls, then you finish up with 205 as a polish. Is this correct? what is the DG 111 and DG501? Are the DG product`s applied before or after the Meguiars? I`m just a little bit confused.

Alex

M105 is a compound used for heavy correction, and a very good one at that. It can also be used as a medium polish depending on your pad/pressure combo. M205 is a polish that can be used for light to medium correction, depending on pad/pressure combos.

The DG products (111 & 501) are both sealants, even though they are called "polishes". The 111 is a pure sealant that doesn`t do much else. The 501 has some heavy chemical cleaners in it and a tiny bit of abrasives (per Jerry at DG). It is a very good paint cleaner and a pretty durable sealant as well.

You would do your paint correction first (M105 if needed and M205) and then once the paint is corrected, you would use an LSP to protect the paint. You could use the DG501 and top it with 111, or you could use the DG501 by itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blk45
    Incorrect. Why would you want to use a product that will leave something behind on the paint before you polish? You are just creating more work for yourself.

I use it before correction because I`m not interested in its sealing properties, only in its phenomenal cleaning abilities. So after the paint is nice and clean, the abrasive polishes I use will remove the 501 so I can use whichever sealant/wax combination I like.

frostydog make a good point, but you could just use an IPA wipedown with a clean MF to remove any residual polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for reply, i understand what they do now, just confused when it says polish but really isn`t.

Alex

Thread Information