Post Thanks / Like
    What`s your favorite (general) pad, product, and process?

I`m currently using a 5.5` gold pad with MenzNano, starting at speed 5-6 with medium pressure, backing down to 4-3, light pressure, a water spritz, no pressure until all is gone. This takes about 4mins per 2x2 section.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be wrong but I`m not sure jeweling with a DA is really doing anything. I used to drop the speed toward the last couple passes and lighten the pressure, but with the PC, I think higher speed is needed the entire time at least with polishing. now a sealant or wax then obviously I can use speed 3 or whatever. I`ve just basically come to the conclusion that jeweling is a rotary thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dublifecrisis
    I might be wrong but I`m not sure jeweling with a DA is really doing anything...I`ve just basically come to the conclusion that jeweling is a rotary thing.

It could be that any improvements are just too subtle to be readily noticed. Once you get all the marring out, and a really nice gloss, any further improvements...well, they`re not gonna be earth-shaking. We`re talking about refining an "already perfect" finish.

I do my burnishing/jeweling with the Cyclo (and sometimes the PC) and it works fine for me. Gives me a very subtle, but noticeable, improvement on an already corrected finish.

I`ve heard there are paints where a rotary *is* mandatory, but I`ve never experienced that first-hand.

I do my burnishing/jeweling with a pad that has no functional cut (either a polishing or finishing) and a product that`s *barely* functionally abrasive on the paint in question. With the PC I usually use speed 4-4.5 but the fixed speed/aggressiveness of the Cyclo never seems to be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

I do my burnishing/jeweling with a pad that has no functional cut (either a polishing or finishing) and a product that`s *barely* functionally abrasive on the paint in question. With the PC I usually use speed 4-4.5 but the fixed speed/aggressiveness of the Cyclo never seems to be a problem.

RMG and a megs polishing pad for example?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwind101

RMG applied with a PC is just fantastic. But I don`t think it`s at all abrasive?

As for the actual jeweling process, though, I`m still using the rotary. Although the KBM might change that.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    My limited experience with jeweling with a UDM and PO85RD is close to Accumulator`s comments. There seems to be negligible improvement. PO85RD seems to have a very long work time too. I was using the high speed, light pressure, slow arm action, and black pad recommendations. I even tried a blue pad. Maybe my Ford paint is just about as good as it will get with all the orange peel. The paint is clear but think I wanted to see if I could extract more gloss.

BTW, The menzerna rep told be 106fa is nothing more than PO85RD with more "powder" so it works faster.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky

BTW, The menzerna rep told be 106fa is nothing more than PO85RD with more "powder" so it works faster.

Thats interesting! Wonder if that statement comes derives from a backlash to M205??
    Presidential Automotive Detailing - Tampa, FL - Click To See our latest Details and Customer Reviews

Follow Us! - Become A Fan Of Presidential Automotive Detailing On Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    FPII on a finishing pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    RMG applied with a PC is just fantastic. But I don`t think it`s at all abrasive?

Especially if you`re a `nuba guy like me. I`m not into doing one last jeweling step with a polish. Rather that`s where a glaze works for me which shows off a noticeable difference. RMG or DWG and also VM (which has nice chemical cleaning properties) come into play for me on every detail.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I frequently finish or jewel the paint with a Meg`s black pad and Meg`s #9. A lot of people bag on #9 but I think they are expecting it to be something it`s not. I like at think of #9 as #7 but with a minimal amount of cut. The finish it leaves is very similar to #7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwind101

I must be the last guy on earth who`s never tried RMG!

Nah, I use whatever polish I think is close to nonabrasive or that at least finishes out that way (e.g., 1Z High Gloss or even the oh-so-mild Pro MP when used with a blue finishing pad on Audis). On soft paint like the Jag`s lacquer just a slightly aggressive use of Autoglym SRP (or even Pinnacle PCL) can do a bit of jeweling.

That reference to #9 sounds good too, depending on the paint in question. Glaze-like polishes (the PCL and VM) and AIOs (the SRP) and stuff like 1Z WPS can do a bit of jeweling along with their usual effects. IMO it gets to be a fine line separating one category from the other and I don`t really care which side of the line a product is on as long as it effects the desired improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s why I like #9 for final polishing. It sits on the line between polish and glaze. Plus it is easier to work with than #7 on occasion.

Thread Information