Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me, or does anyone else perfer to wear headphones instead of listening to speakers or plain old ear plugs? Seems like its a form of hearing protection to me

When it gets late turn to some NOFX or Blink182, usualy start the morning with some form of techno or Run DMC :chuckle:

Would this be considered a form of ear protection? or should i be getting a set of ear plugs?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t hear the question in what you are asking.

Post Thanks / Like
    how about using the small sized headphones (like ipods) and then getting some of those big ones like the airplane technicians wear .. and wear those over the ipod ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Im asking if headphones are a valid form of protection

Post Thanks / Like
    spend the $1 and get some ear plugs -or suffer in a few years like the people I know who watch TV with c. captions on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drsuce

Valid protection ... NO

would they help .. Yes (depending on your volume setting) =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drsuce

Protection against what, loud noises? No, they are not.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about noise cancellin headphones? Anyone spent the $ to try them out?

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO drum headphones are the best form of protection against that constant buffer drone which will overtime cause damage to your hearing.

This is how I roll..:getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    The ear muffs, as above, or the rubber-like plugs are the most effective forms of ear protection. Now that I`m profoundly hearing impaired, I wish I had worn the ear protection all the times I was subjected to continuous sound above 75 db.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I`ll weigh in on this. You are wearing ear phones to drowned out the sound of the machine right? In order to hear the music over the machine you need the music to be louder than "background" noise, so you have just negated the protection, in fact you are listening to something louder than the machine.

Cheers,
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I use in ear headphones (or monitors). I originally started using them when I played drums in a couple of rock bands. They are just like wearing ear plugs with the benefit of having headphones built right in. You do not have to turn them up loud to drown external noises. I listen to classical and jazz at normal comfortable levels while running a buffer or shop vac, and can barely hear the noise at all. The most important thing is to get a set that seals tightly in your ear canal. The ones I use have a foam ear plug material with the drivers in the center. Prices very greatly from around $40 or $50 dollars all the way up to about $1200 to $1500 dollars for custom fitted three driver ear molds. If you listen to low quality mp3`s or low bit rate music I would opt for the lower priced ones. I have two different sets, one for high quality listening at home and my 10 year old beater, built like a tank ones. Try to limit the levels you listen to these also since they sit very close to your eardrum and can damage your hearing very quickly. If you prefer headphones Vic Firth offers a set (like dsms`s) with built in drivers while also offering sound isolation. I hope this helps, Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing they protect from is all the people who would otherwise walk up to me and ask if I do detailing. :p
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan O
    I use in ear headphones (or monitors). I originally started using them when I played drums in a couple of rock bands. They are just like wearing ear plugs with the benefit of having headphones built right in. You do not have to turn them up loud to drown external noises. I listen to classical and jazz at normal comfortable levels while running a buffer or shop vac, and can barely hear the noise at all. The most important thing is to get a set that seals tightly in your ear canal. The ones I use have a foam ear plug material with the drivers in the center. Prices very greatly from around $40 or $50 dollars all the way up to about $1200 to $1500 dollars for custom fitted three driver ear molds. If you listen to low quality mp3`s or low bit rate music I would opt for the lower priced ones. I have two different sets, one for high quality listening at home and my 10 year old beater, built like a tank ones. Try to limit the levels you listen to these also since they sit very close to your eardrum and can damage your hearing very quickly. If you prefer headphones Vic Firth offers a set (like dsms`s) with built in drivers while also offering sound isolation. I hope this helps, Dan.

:werd:

I agree. Its what I use. Form fitting so its blocking the buffer noise, and i don`t have to have it loud to hear it.

Thread Information