Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips And Tricks

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the kit but haven`t tried the clay? Does it work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailnByDustn
    I have the kit but haven`t tried the clay? Does it work?

YES, but don`t take my word for it

try what we call the Baggie test

take a thin plastic bag and place your hand inside of it

and with light pressure drag it across the paint

you will feel all the embeded stuff in/on the paint

then clay and try the bag again

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dustin..... you`re thread sure is getting a lot of attention!!!! Suddenly you`re a pretty popular guy!!!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, and to think I thought popcorn, a beer and my flat panel TV was enough nighttime entertainment....lol :heelclick
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster
    Hey Dustin..... you`re thread sure is getting a lot of attention!!!! Suddenly you`re a pretty popular guy!!!

Haha thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    YES, but don`t take my word for it

try what we call the Baggie test

take a thin plastic bag and place your hand inside of it

and with light pressure drag it across the paint

you will feel all the embeded stuff in/on the paint

then clay and try the bag again

okay i will have to try that, do you buy a big block of clay or a small amount?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like TW zip wax quite a bit. Seems to have good lubrication and leaves the paint with a glow. IMHO it spanks Meg`s deep crystal car wash.

Welcome Dustin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoods_lex
    I like TW zip wax quite a bit. Seems to have good lubrication and leaves the paint with a glow. IMHO it spanks Meg`s deep crystal car wash.

Welcome Dustin!

Thanks man! pretty good stuff and its cheap
    United States Air Force

Missile Maintenance Technician

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dublifecrisis
    well actually plenty of car shampoos can strip off wax if you add more than the suggested amount but generally what you say is true re: dish soaps. Some people, mostly back in the day, would wash their car with Dawn dish soap to intentionally strip off the old wax.

Dustin-Have you used any Clay yet in your details?

I clayed my vehicle about 2 weeks ago for the first time, it does very well and its pretty easy 2 do :woot:
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailnByDustn
    In most car wash soaps they put a surface protectant in them to give the effects of waxing your car. Kinda like rain-x but very cheap version and label them wax.

It`s called cheap silicone.:dance

I think most companies are very misleading when it comes to a consumer product. The average person hears carnauba and they automatically think... ooooohh "protecion and shine`. But in fact, it`s the other chemicals in the product that actually hide the swirls and make the shine.

You have to understand that if it is in a consumer store product, then the product has to work effortlessly and has to be goof proof. Your average consumer does not compound/polish a car cause they have no tools, training, process, time, or skills. They want something quick and easy. They only way to achieve a quick consumer shine is with cheap silicones.

Now the companies favorite part is when the silicone wears off and starts chaulking the surface, the consumer uses the product again and bam, it looks good again. Fresh silicone makes old dull siliconed surfaces look newer again.

I know the hard way, I sometimes get paid to strip old embedded stuff off paint and most of the time it is no joy at all. I have to teach the client on how to properly maintain their newly resurfaced paint and show them what products that will not harm the paint.

I have a picture that I should post up of what cheap consumer brand silicone wax and qd`s actually looks like after years of sitting on the paint. I`ll try to post it up after.

Sorry for the long post, but this will make everyone think about what they put on thier paint.

Tip #1: Use quality products!:secret You are only as good as your products allow you too.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg

I think most companies are very misleading when it comes to a consumer product. The average person hears carnauba and they automatically think... ooooohh "protecion and shine`. But in fact, it`s the other chemicals in the product that actually hide the swirls and make the shine.

You have to understand that if it is in a consumer store product, then the product has to work effortlessly and has to be goof proof. Your average consumer does not compound/polish a car cause they have no tools, training, process, time, or skills. They want something quick and easy. They only way to achieve a quick consumer shine is with cheap silicones.

Now the companies favorite part is when the silicone wears off and starts chaulking the surface, the consumer uses the product again and bam, it looks good again. Fresh silicone makes old dull siliconed surfaces look newer again.

I know the hard way, I sometimes get paid to strip old embedded stuff off paint and most of the time it is no joy at all. I have to teach the client on how to properly maintain their newly resurfaced paint and show them what products that will not harm the paint.

I have a picture that I should post up of what cheap consumer brand silicone wax and qd`s actually looks like after years of sitting on the paint. I`ll try to post it up after.

Sorry for the long post, but this will make everyone think about what they put on thier paint.

Tip #1: Use quality products!:secret You are only as good as your products allow you too.

Exactly that all that rain-x and other "surface protectants" are at the car washes and in most brands of car wash soaps with "wax" a silicon layer that goes over you paints finish and dries making a thin layer that repels water off the surface, thus thinking that it has wax in it and charging you more for it then regular car wash soap. Its all a marketing technique, just like the new look that 3m products received making them look really cool and new but some of its the same formula, that`s all thanks to them merging with meguairs.
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg

I`d be interested in that picture Ryan. Thanks for a great post. kind of a mind stretcher for me.

i gotta say it`s frustrating when you see some person`s car all glossy and wet, but for some reason you KNOW they aren`t Autopians and just threw some OTC junk silicone based stuff on their car. I know there are other people here that have seen similar examples...

Oh, and sorry for hijacking the OP. :geez

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a 2001 Viper ACR that i did a couple months ago with only 7,000 miles. The paint was in overall good condition, but had some minor scratches, hazing, and tons of embedded silicon patches all over most sections of the car. The hood was the worst.

These pictures were after I washed, clayed, and 91% alcoholed it. I spent 7 long days perfecting this one to 100% flawless.

At first, the owner said it should not be too bad, because he always took very good care of it with washing, waxing it monthly, and using qd`s on it often. Judging by the pictures he was right, but with poor OTC products.

After the tons of hours I put into this job, I taught him the right way to wash it and the right products to use on it, so next year it will still look flawless.

This is what it looked like during inspection in the sun after 5 days of resurfacing the clear.

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Rydawg I sort of had the same experience today. The job was an black 07 Chev 2500, bought from dealer auction, with the slight budging rear quarters.

The truck had severe gravel rash so they painted the front quarters and the damaged tailgate. My job was to match with X-Kote the rest of the truck, as the rear quarters and somewhat doors were dull from gravel and its dust.

The truck was X-Koted, which i know most don`t deal in, but the process is somewhat the same.

Process was PW, as I cleaned it last week so it was mainly dust. Clay, compound with foam, with 95 x2 in duller areas. Then do solvent wipe to remove any surface silicone. Side note it is impossible to remove all silicone as it migrates deep into the paint.

Ok sorry about the background story. Well after three 70% alcohol wipes and a silicone and wax remover solvent wipe. The solvents were still pulling contaminates out of the paint. After 3 more 99% ISO wipes the paint was almost clean. It still showed contaminates but was passable. Normal is 2 to 3 wipes.

The X-Kote layed down OK after all this, but seriously what products are they coming out with that are impossible to remove?

Sorry no pics as my camera broke a couple weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried so many solutions removing silicon and while they will remove only top layers at 3% at a time, it takes a long time to remove everything. I normally try to remove it chemically to a point where it looks light, then remove the rest mechanically with compounds using different techniques.

Ryan Blanchette

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information