Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I might get flamed or have a few guys lecture me on how I should invest some cash, etc. to get a nice machine but I just got myself another car and I don`t have the money to do that right now... so what I want to know is what is the best product to polish out some light-medium swirl (where it was wet sanded) areas? Something thats not too aggressive if thats possible... I`m not going to do it often so nothing too fancy is needed, but something that will do the job WELL.

I seem to remember an article where someone compared a whole bunch of stuff by hand but I don`t remember where from~

Oh and I`ve tried to look for a random orbital in Australia but no-one has them... if anyone knows, maybe I could shell out a few bucks here and there to get one. But until then, bring on the suggestions! :xyxthumbs

...and one more thing~ Does anyone know if the BMW touchup paint is any good? My new car (first time I got a used one) came with some stone chips on the bonnet/hood and I can see some white which I`m guessing is the primer... The color is LeMans Blue by the way!

Sorry for cramming 3 huge questions into one stupid thread :hide:
    2008 BMW 530i M Sport Package - Space Grey [Purchased late `08]

2006 BMW 120i M Sport Package - LeMans Blue [Purchased used early `09!]

Post Thanks / Like
    Should not get flamed or lectured because you ask questions and trying to learn. Everyone`s situation is different.

Meguiars 105 is a great product to use by hand. There are other compounds or rubbing compounds or polishes out there that will work as well.

Just know it is going to take a lot longer by hand and their is sort of a technique ( i believe) that goes along with it.

More knowledgable pro`s will give you much better information than me, just wanted to let you know off the top of my head what I know to be a good product and to let you know to not be afraid (as you were not) to ask questions. We are all here to learn!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d also try Meguiars Ultimate Compound. But the key is to make sure you work it properly otherwise you will be left with marring/pseudo holograms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flagged, I definitely would like to see more on this topic. There are quite a few times when the machine just can`t reach into an area so hand polishing is a must. It`d be quite tiresome to polish and entire car by hand I`d imagine but I could see the reasoning for doing so.
    2003 Brilliant Black Audi A4 1.8t

2004 Tornado Red Triumph Speed Triple 955i

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a thread you should find helpful. You can search the poster`s name and you`ll find more very informative topics he`s posted about polishes and wax comparisons

** Test - Swirl Removal By Hand ** - Autopia.org

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    for your BMW touch up paint question .. i work for BMW .. and their touch up paint is great .. two little bottles come in the package .. one bottle is the actual paint and the other bottle is a clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Removing marring by hand is absolutely doable, just takes a lot of time and effort. There are areas that machines just can`t reach anyhow (e.g., behind door handles) and it`s always been possible to do this stuff by hand. With the products now available it doesn`t take *nearly* as long as it used to.

Meguiar`s M105 (or their Ultimate Compound) is probably the best bet unless the paint in question is very soft. It *will* require a follow-up with something milder for optimum gloss.

Same ol` same ol` regarding the application media:,most aggressive-to-least:

Cotton terry, foam, MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW thanks guys for the great responses! This forum rocks cos everyone is SOOOO supportive!!!

I have narrowed it down to the AutoGlym Super Resin Polish and I`ll probably order one around Saturday. Is the 375mL bottle enough for 2 cars??? I don`t have anything too big to polish up (apart from a lightly wet sanded bit on the 530i) so I think it will do... for now~ I`m gonna research polishing machines more and then save and buy.

And thanks landcruser for that link... that was the exact same one I was referring to in my original post and I got the AutoGlym idea from there. THANKS!

Gluxury - thanks for the reply! I`ll pick one up this weekend or have them order one in.

Once again, thanks soooo much for your help and hi fives all around for being the best forum ever lol!!! :hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_hobo94

And thanks landcruser for that link... that was the exact same one I was referring to in my original post and I got the AutoGlym idea from there. THANKS!

No problem. Hope it was helpful to you. BTW, Dave KG has several posts comparing products that you may be interested in checking out:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_hobo94
    .. I have narrowed it down to the AutoGlym Super Resin Polish and I`ll probably order one around Saturday. Is the 375mL bottle enough for 2 cars??? I don`t have anything too big to polish up (apart from a lightly wet sanded bit on the 530i) so I think it will do...

Note that the SRP is almost alway nearly functionally-nonabrasive. I *really* like the SRP but I gotta caution you to *not* expect it to do much unless you precede it with a truly abrasive polish(es).

Yeah, it does a bit of concealing, but I`d still do *some* abrasive correction first.

The 375ml bottle oughta be much more than enough for two vehicles no matter how big they are. It doesn`t take much and most people use a zillion times more product than they need. You should be able to do both vehicles quite a few times with that amount of SRP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks guys so much. Accumulator, I think I`ll use the SRP for now and then when I have enough for a PC 7424 or a UDM, then I will start off with light abrasives or something... until then, here are some pics of the new 120i... (I tried to take shots of the stone chips on bonnet/hood but they didn`t really show up so none are included...)

EDIT: (Hmmm... I have no idea how to share PhotoBucket albums I`ll try later after I read up on it...)

EDIT 2: Riiiight... figured out how to make it public so here it is now...

120i pictures by rich_hobo94 - Photobucket

:woot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Just click on the "img" link feature below the photos you want to post, then paste the link into your reply and the image will display for you where ever you put the link.

Post Thanks / Like
    rich hobo-I am jumping in late, so I will simply say that I did polish by hand 10 years ago, and I made it work, though it is certainly an upper-body workout.

I pretty much agree with everything said above. For sure, I must admit that I do listen when Accumulator talks. He`s been around the block many times.

I was happy to see that you got helpful advice, without any grief. I would expect nothing less from all the good folks who hang out here.

There is a multitude of great people here, and since I found out yesterday that I can afford to retire in June at the tender age of 56, I just may have to visit them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey, Moe!

I pretty much agree with everything said above. For sure, I must admit that I do listen when Accumulator talks. He`s been around the block many times.

You mean he`s all worn out:grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Moe! & landcruiser- Heh heh, you guys....

rich hobo94- Hey, that`s a really good looking bodystyle and a nice color too!

The little bottle of SRP oughta last a good long time if you`re only using it on that car.

Doing the SRP and concentrating on getting your wash/dry technique sorted out oughta be a good start. If you have any areas that really need corrected you could do those as a first step towards the whole polishing thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information