Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Autopia!

Well for some time I have been doing my best to take great care of te cars residing in the stable. It is suprisingly difficult to find a great detailer who does not dump marks and scratches all over the cars. So I take the burdon of doing things myself!! I love doing this, but I would just like to get some advice on weither im doing things 100% the right way...

My car has a fair amount of swirls, mainly on the boot (rear end). The rest of car is lightly swirled, but is perfect other than that. I know theres some great buffer out there and I have been researching which would be the best but I am still unsure.

My real worries come to the other cars. One is a 2003 Bentley Arnage, which has an enamel clear coat. Is there anything special I need to know about dealing with this kind of paint? It is literally around 8 coats so im unsure... There are light swilrs in it, but it seems that the paint on this car is harder to scratch than a standard paint...or maybe its my imagination? It is a metallic paint and if I really get to it I can break out the most amazing gloss/metallic finish.

The other is a 1992 Lamborghini Diablo. Its almost perfect except for some nics in the paint from the previous owner. For 17 year old paint it looks incredible. As far as I know it is a simple gloss paint but seems to be somewhat easy to scratch.

To be honest, I rarelly ever wash the cars except for my Mini Cooper. The other two see an average of 200miles a month so they really never need a real bath. I dust them off before every drive as well as clear the brake dust, and that seems to clean them up! Is that ok? I use a wide selection of Wizards products as they always seem to provide the best results for the cars. Is there anything else I should try for these cars?

So.... what do i need to know to really get started doing things the right way? What are the best tools to use?

Thanks and im looking forward to being a part of this awsome community!

OK Im trying to post pics of the cars in question but it wont let me! I have done it before on other forums so I dont know why it wont work...
    BENTLEY l LAMBORGHINI l AUDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

You will quickly find out that product choice is largely subjective and comes down to your personal preference. Process is where you need to focus most of your energy. Work into it piece by piece - proper washing and drying, claybar to remove embedded conatmination, chemical and/or abrasive polishes to remove swirls and other imperfections, waxing/sealing.

Your routine maintenance is the most important and frequent aspect. Use a quality wash media (I prefer sheepskin mitts), high lubricity soap, and quality drying (forced air plus waffle weave microfiber).

Dusting can be okay, but it also introduces the potential for marring, swirls, etc. Do this with great care and a quality water-less wash or quick detailer.

If I were buying my first machine for polishing, I`d seriously consider the Flex orbital and Lake Country pads.

Good luck with the new addiction!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sketch...

Just an FYI. Pictures are not allowed in your sig. Could you please remove it.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Do some research on Optimum No Rinse and the techniques on how to use it. I feel you could be inducing some swirls just dry wiping off the dust (if that`s how you are doing it?). As far as a buffer for non-pro`s like myself, I love the Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    Sketch...

My bad. I removed it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    Welcome!

You will quickly find out that product choice is largely subjective and comes down to your personal preference. Process is where you need to focus most of your energy. Work into it piece by piece - proper washing and drying, claybar to remove embedded conatmination, chemical and/or abrasive polishes to remove swirls and other imperfections, waxing/sealing.

Your routine maintenance is the most important and frequent aspect. Use a quality wash media (I prefer sheepskin mitts), high lubricity soap, and quality drying (forced air plus waffle weave microfiber).

Dusting can be okay, but it also introduces the potential for marring, swirls, etc. Do this with great care and a quality water-less wash or quick detailer.

If I were buying my first machine for polishing, I`d seriously consider the Flex orbital and Lake Country pads.

Good luck with the new addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by mobenzowner
    Do some research on Optimum No Rinse and the techniques on how to use it. I feel you could be inducing some swirls just dry wiping off the dust (if that`s how you are doing it?). As far as a buffer for non-pro`s like myself, I love the Flex 3401.

Thanks for the responses! The how-tos on here look pretty helpful too! I wish I could show you guys what im working with... the swirls i mean.

Ill try again to upload some pics..

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    Sketch...

Sorry my bad : ) I took it out.

Thread Information