Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 335i Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking to buy a 335 (when I find a deal) and wanted you guys opinion on the paint. Is it difficult to work with? Hard or soft paint? I black a nightmare to work with?

Looking for your opinion as to what color you would buy.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a space grey 335i for a little over 2 years. The paint is practically flawless. A few waterspots that with a 500 watt halo and lots of searching you can find. Only washed with sheepskin mitt, grit guard and usually separate water for top of car and base boards.

I`m told the flat black is a real PITA. Some say can`t be corrected with a PC alone as it doesn`t finish well. No experience on my end, but I believe I found that here. I`ve read the metallic black is alot easier to work with.

I love my color as with Klasse AIO and SG, it looks great, even a little dirty.

Below is a link to the BMW forum, E90 section where I found alot of useful info. Picus, a poster here who has a graphite 335i posts over there as well.

On a performance note, its the most fun I`ve ever had in a car and we have a company lambo (Lambo would be more fun if stick instead of paddles) Lambo is obviously more impressive. The 335i is a beast when you get on it and a luxury car when driven easy. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I just put runflats back on as I`m turning it in in 10 mos. The traction is significantly worse.

Good luck

Wash, Wax, Detailing and Exterior repairs - E90Post - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not buy Jet Black! It is VERY soft and a real pain to deal with. If you want black, get the Black Sapphire Metallic. It`s more of a medium paint hardness.

I never understood why people will ask other`s opinions on what color car they should buy. Buy what *you* like, not everyone else. Now if you are asking what color to get as far as easiest to maintain a good finish on or correct, then clarify that and you will get some recommendations.

Good luck with the hunt. They are fun cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jet Black and Crimson Red are soft and everything else is pretty hard. I have Crimson Red!
    2007 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel

2008 Black Yukon Denali XL

2008 Crimson Red 335i (sold)

Reflection Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blk45
    Do not buy Jet Black! It is VERY soft and a real pain to deal with. If you want black, get the Black Sapphire Metallic. It`s more of a medium paint hardness.

I never understood why people will ask other`s opinions on what color car they should buy. Buy what *you* like, not everyone else. Now if you are asking what color to get as far as easiest to maintain a good finish on or correct, then clarify that and you will get some recommendations.

Good luck with the hunt. They are fun cars.

+1.

Jet Black is a nightmare, the worst color/paint choice you could make IMO. Black Sapphire is the way to go if you want a black Bimmer.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for replies

I will keep them in mind when looking for my car.

And yes, I was asking more about maintenance then what color I should get. Thanks again guys

Post Thanks / Like
    I have space gray and noticed light water spot etching the day I picked the car up. It also seems very hard to remove. I haven`t tried wet sanding yet but it can only be seen under certian lighting conditions when looking very hard. I have had MB`s for years and never had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I detail a Crimson red one quite frequently and they`re right. It`s fairly soft. I found corrections fairly easy with that paint though. 106ff with a white pad put quite a dent in what I was dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get Some green pads and Menz 106FA(or FF) and Menz PO203 an perhaps some Menz PO83, Im a fan a Silver, but its prefrance.
    Canfield

03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver

97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic

93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife`s 2006 325i is Alpine White, which has the hardest clear cote I have ever seen. I actually like it, as it does not scratch easily. It polishes up nicely with M105 on PFW and 106FF on white with a rotary.
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur12
    I am looking to buy a 335 (when I find a deal) and wanted you guys opinion on the paint. Is it difficult to work with? Hard or soft paint? I black a nightmare to work with?

Looking for your opinion as to what color you would buy.

Thanks guys!

BMWs assembled in Germany are mostly using powder-clear coats.

I feel that these PCCs are considered hard clearcoats.

Soft clears, while being a PITA to work with, has the advantage of scratches being removed more easily. It`s just that you hv to follow up with removal of buffer swirls using multiple rounds of the DA machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigondaz
    .Soft clears, while being a PITA to work with, has the advantage of scratches being removed more easily. It`s just that you hv to follow up with removal of buffer swirls using multiple rounds of the DA machine.

Not when it comes to the new Jet Black paint. You will scratch it up just by wiping it.

Stay away from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s an idea of BMW`s Carbon Black...

It`s sort of pain to keep it in good condition. But when its clean.. its a beauty.

My previous vehicle was Silver Grey Metalliac and it was so easy to keep clean.

In my experience... My first car was Black... then Silver Grey Metalliac... then Silver.... Then Carbon Black... I am ready for some unique color...

:angry How come I cant post any pics...? :angry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coke4class
    Here`s an idea of BMW`s Carbon Black...

It`s sort of pain to keep it in good condition. :angry

Actually I took care of a Carbon Black M3 for 36 months weekly. (it was a lease). Only way I could clean it was using QEW and the car was still in 99% shape. I did do many spot correction on the car during the 3 years and polished it out several times.

If you know how to wash it properly, the car will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi first post here... I own a Space Grey `08 530i (F/L model) and I find that the paint is very hard to ruin. I was stupid enough to use a brush on my old `04 318i (also F/L) and that left many swirls on my Titanium Silver paint. Now I get free washes every 2 weeks from my new dealer and its in great condition. Now I want to start taking care of it myself so thats why I`m here! Good luck with your purchase!

Oh yeah I almost went for the Carbon Black because it was available with my M sport package but chose not to... lucky for me I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information