Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brillo pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Autopians,

So I`m going to detail a 2007 BMW 335 (dark blue) this weekend. The biggest concern is that there are about 9 spots that the customer used a brillo pad to attempt to remove bird bomb stains. Needless to say, they are dull scratch spots. I`m planning on using some Menzerna Powergloss with a PC, since its designed to remove 1500 grit sandpaper marks, is it safe to say that it will take care of the brillo pad marks as well?

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how deep they are an how much clear you have to take off to level those areas. They will definitely look better, but hard to say if they will be gone without seeing/feeling them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If a compound doesn`t take care of it then 2000-4000 grit wet sanding should.

Since Brillo pads have different "grits" then it`s really tough to say what would work.
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    Depends on how deep they are an how much clear you have to take off to level those areas. They will definitely look better, but hard to say if they will be gone without seeing/feeling them.

I agree.... but my guess is the marring is not too deep and you`ll be able to improve greatly.

Good luck. :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he might`ve gone through the clear on them because it looks like flat base paint...

Post Thanks / Like
    If my 1996 Lexus had enough clearcoat after a polishing of heavy brillo pad scratches then I`m sure an 07 BMW would be fine. I did 100% removal too. Lets just say I never let my sister`s wash my car again....

Before:

[IMG][/IMG]

After:

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, that actually is very similar to how the marks look. I`ll take pics this weekend and let you know if Menzerna do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! SIP works great on BMW clearcoats btw

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: So I finished the car, Menzerna worked great on the brillo marks. Most were confined to the hook except for one on the roof. I followed the Menz Powergloss with Megs Mirror glaze and then some 100% P21S. I would have done a proper 3 stage but I was paid primarily to get the marring out. The only thing is that I went through two pads to do it. Both were LC CSS pads from Autogeek, one was the yellow cutting pad, the other was orange. Any ideas how this happened? Too much pressure? Too much product? BTW: the pictures aren`t the best because I was in a time crunch, I haven`t figured out how to get those great paint shots, and I don`t have halogens.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

PADS:

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to clean these pads to remove the spent product before applying more product to the pad.

The pads look like a combination of excess product, lack of cleaning, and too much pressure.

That being said, I have not seen a pad crumble like that. But, the way the damaged parts are centered, it looks like the location for the backing plate. So, there was too much pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    These were brand new pads when I started. The yellow pad started crumbling like that after working on the hood alone. I`m confused also because the instructions say to dispense a 6 inch line across the sections I`m working on. I would usually work each section for 2-5 minutes (more on the brillo marks). So how would it be excess build up if I`m following the directions? Am I supposed to clean the pad after every section I work on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you need to clean the pad atleast after every two sections (14x14").

To clean the pad, get a clean microfiber and the PC with the pad mounted. Now, firmly press the microfiber against the pad and turn the machine on for a few seconds (15 seconds) or until the pad is clean to your satisfaction.

The amount of product used on the pad depends on the product. For some products, you need to make an X on the pad with product. With others, a few pea sized drops will do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job! Glad you got them out

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I honestly never knew that out of all my time scouting Autopia. Would it also help is I used a few spritzes of QD in between sections?

BTW: Thanks eyezack!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would contact Autogeek about those. That shouldn`t of happened at all with new pads. Cleaning them or not cleaning them after a couple of sections.

If all you did was keep them on the painted surface and didn`t catch any trim, then those are defective pads.

You only need top spritz them with QD before their first use on each car.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it`s all about???

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4...1967 Ford Mustang Coupe...2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information