Post Thanks / Like
    This will be my first winter with my car. It seems that I will need an ice scraper. I see that autogeek has this Ice Master thing that is like 4 in 1 or something.

In general, wont an ice scraper scratch your glass? I really dont know. please enlighten me.

Post Thanks / Like
    glass is much harder than the plastic they use to make ice scrapers. You will have no issue with common use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell that to my back window...

Plastic won`t scratch glass but **** that gets kicked up on to your glass will scratch it. This isn`t much of an issue if you don`t have a hatchback.
    ...BlackSheepSquad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the dirt will scratch. Best way is to warm the car up, so there isn`t a hard scraping.

Post Thanks / Like
    God I love florida :p

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm ic. so dirt scratches and plastic done. this brings an off topic to mind. So the next time I clean my glass, I should be careful. Must be tough to polish glass...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow85
    This will be my first winter with my car. It seems that I will need an ice scraper. I see that autogeek has this Ice Master thing that is like 4 in 1 or something.

In general, wont an ice scraper scratch your glass? I really dont know. please enlighten me.

The Ice Master blades are rounded brass and deburred. It doesn`t scratch glass. However, dirt on the windshield can scratch. Clean the glass as often as possible if you anticipate having to use an ice scraper.
    Jason
    Jason@palmbeachmotoring.net
    PBMG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that glass master thingy that I purchased for the misses. I used her car last night and didn`t notice any scratches made by it. She says it work great, I have not used it myself.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing but brass scrapers for the car, but i keep the glass clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    just got the ice master today. sure looks intimidating. i am still antsy to use this. maybe i am just thinking too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was younger, I used the edge of the scraper to punch holes in the inch thick ice. Then I noticed I had a bunch of little pockmarks all over the windshield.

Dont do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had an ice storm here once, and I used the back hard side of the brush to remove the thick ice only to shatter my windsheild.

Don`t do this either. HAHAHA

Post Thanks / Like
    Officially scared the crap out of me. The ice master has brass blades that are suppose to "flex" to "hug" your windows. but they look tough. i am getting the impression that this will scratch my glass. could i be over thinking...

Post Thanks / Like
    dude relax

it`s just an ice scraper

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, BIGJIMZ28 is right ... chill.

If you`re as anal as I am, start the car first, crank the heat all the way and put it full blast on the defrost knob/button/controller. Also turn on the rear window defrost.

Then remove the snow off the car while the ice layer still protects it. If no snow, then clear your front walk and put ice melt down. By the time you`re done the ice will have started to melt and you won`t be `chipping/scraping` it off like burnt casserole in the Corning-ware, but it will easily push, crumble, slide off the windows.

If you`ve got nothing to do, just sit in the car while it warms up a little. This time is so short compared to how many years and months you`ll be looking at a scratch or divot in the glass if you weren`t patient.

Since we`re on the topic, my brother takes his cardboard windshield-sun-block-thingy and puts it in place with the defrosters on full blast. He claims it melts the ice off the windscreen in a tenth of the time as all the hot air is trapped between the two.

Hope any of this helps ...
    SaintlySins

Thread Information