Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, so I`m assumming the halogen lights are needed in the process of detailing so that imperfections can be seen more clearly. That being said, does the light have to be a certain wattage for the swirls to show up? I`m trying to save as much as possible on these equipments and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on where to buy these, perhaps just buying the halogen light bulb and DIY a stand?

I found one on ebay and it seems identical to what a lot of details use, but I`m kind of on a budget right now. VIDEO PHOTO STUDIO CONTINUOUS LIGHTING KIT SET HALOGEN - eBay (item 290277939802 end time Dec-01-08 19:00:00 PST)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a single 500w light that cost 12 bucks at pep boys

I also have a dual setup with adjustable stand that I got at Lowes for 30

Post Thanks / Like
    type in " sears halogen light " in the search and you`ll find lots of info...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at Sears you might want to read the reviews. Tons of people hate their halogens due to poor construction or cheap parts breaking. Probably the worst ratings from reviews that I have ever seen on a product. That was what made me pass on their lights. Still looking for a nice set that won`t break easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrispy
    If you look at Sears you might want to read the reviews. Tons of people hate their halogens due to poor construction or cheap parts breaking. Probably the worst ratings from reviews that I have ever seen on a product. That was what made me pass on their lights. Still looking for a nice set that won`t break easily.

just like anything else, there are going to be some positive and some negative. most of the members on here who have bought them, haven`t had problems with them. i always noticed them, but i took closer look at the halogens at HD and those are pretty nice/heavy duty (the green ones made by commercial electric and there are a few others), but a little more expensive but probably built for heavy construction use (more than what we would put it through), etc,...

Post Thanks / Like
    this one looks interesting and i wonder if this type of bulb will detect defects a little better...

Cool Bright 45 Watt Fluorescent Large Portable Work light - L-2202 at The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrispy
    I haven`t found that to be the case with the 1000W halogen set (pn# 73825), in fact I have been quite pleased with them. I have read some of those reviews and it almost seems like they`re talking about a set different from what I bought, and mine were on sale for $19.99. For $20 I didn`t expect to get a US made industrial quality set, but I also didn`t want a useless piece of junk that would break when putting it together. So far it meets my expectations and no parts have broken on it yet.

The following thread has some good pics from tom p. of the same set he bought (his pics start at post #9):

http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-de...watt-20-a.html

Anyway, keep your eye on ads at Sears since they have often went on sale for $19.99 in the past. Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, hardware stores, etc. also sell similar lighting so you might want to take a look at some of those places too. You can probably make due with one 500W light but I find the stand comes in handy....... just be careful because they are a trip hazard with your feet or an extension cord.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t realize the halogen set ups were at such good prices. I always thought they were probobly $100 bucks or so. Have to head to Sears and investigate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this post. I am typically a big fan of Craftsman stuff but the reviews kept me from looking at them in person. It does appear that the light mentioned here is different than what the reviews were talking about. I shall go and check them out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    I haven`t found that to be the case with the 1000W halogen set (pn# 73825), in fact I have been quite pleased with them. I have read some of those reviews and it almost seems like they`re talking about a set different from what I bought, and mine were on sale for $19.99. For $20 I didn`t expect to get a US made industrial quality set, but I also didn`t want a useless piece of junk that would break when putting it together. So far it meets my expectations and no parts have broken on it yet.

The following thread has some good pics from tom p. of the same set he bought (his pics start at post #9):

http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-de...watt-20-a.html

Anyway, keep your eye on ads at Sears since they have often went on sale for $19.99 in the past. Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, hardware stores, etc. also sell similar lighting so you might want to take a look at some of those places too. You can probably make due with one 500W light but I find the stand comes in handy....... just be careful because they are a trip hazard with your feet or an extension cord.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm. Is it possible to use fluorescent light bulbs? Halogen produces heat as well as it consumes more energy than fluorescent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba7523
    Hmmmm. Is it possible to use fluorescent light bulbs? Halogen produces heat as well as it consumes more energy than fluorescent.

Fluorescent light doesn`t provide the same type of light/defect spotting as halogens.

Ideally, metal halide lighting is best (next to sunlight), but halogens are a cheaper alternative to very pricey metal halide fixtures.

when I first started detailing I tried working with simple garage fluorescent lighting only, and found out later I was missing LOTS of fine marring and webbing that my halogens spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have about 50 flouresent lights in my shop. but i still use halogens for close up i bought some from my local ace hardware store for 79.99 its has 3 1500watt halogen lamps on tripod lol looks like fourth of july at my place:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Just wondering, will the higher wattage make swirls more visible than lower wattage halogen lights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba7523
    Thanks guys!

Just wondering, will the higher wattage make swirls more visible than lower wattage halogen lights?

with twin dual halogen light stands it`s 1000 watts, which is 500 watts per light (most of them are all like this). stick with the 500 watts per light...

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to get the 500w halogen worklight identical to this one: Craftsman 500 watt Tripod Light with Portable Stand - Model WL500SPT-S at Sears.com

However, it didn`t come with any manual so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to put the light bulb into the receptables? I`ve already unscrewed and opened it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information