Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s one of the guides i found, but it`s not very clear on how to insert the light bulb in:

Equipment Review: Craftsman 1000w Halogen Worklight

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind i got it

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to get the light bulb in. Can halogen light bulbs be inserted in any direction or must it be with +-? I tried it and the light won`t turn on...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a lot similar to how you insert an alkaline battery into most battery compartments (except flashlights, which are different). Two contact points at each end hold the bulb in place. Push one one of the bulb into one of the contact points and then place the other end of the bulb into the 2nd contact point. Whatever you do, do not touch the bulb with bare fingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you did it while I was typing away.

There is no +/- to these things. Either that, or I`ve been lucky 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    it wont turn on. I`ve tried it with both sides...

Post Thanks / Like
    It worked now. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba7523
    It worked now. Thanks!
    Heed what Blade9 said about not touching the bulb with bare fingers. If you did clean it off with alcohol. The oils from your fingers create hot spots and cause the bulbs to burn out faster.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Heed what Blade9 said about not touching the bulb with bare fingers. If you did clean it off with alcohol. The oils from your fingers create hot spots and cause the bulbs to burn out faster.

Got it. But wow, these things are HOT. I can`t imagine working under them for over an hour. Does the lens inhibit UV ray? Iff not, what can I put in front to reduce the UV ray?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a few things to keep in mind.

1. The bulbs are what give off the light spectrum you need to see the `details` and there`s only 2 bulb companies which makes the money difference about the stand.

2. Any price difference of the stand is either sturdiness and features or a merchant with a large mark-up. I`ve owned a LOT of these things and there`s only good ones and pure crap. I`ve bought the better of the two Sears models (widest leg stance & auxiliary outlet) on sale and they`re just fine.

3. They get hot quickly and give off a LOT OF SKIN BLISTERING HEAT! So, pay attention: If they get too close to ANYTHING they will burn it. And I mean ANYTHING!!!!! Including the cars paint. (yeah ... it happened to me back in the 80`s - an Eldorado had some bondo work and the light radiated enough heat from several feet away (about 20 minutes or so) to affect the bondo underneath and blister. It was ugly! :shocked )

4. Replacing bulbs. Sometimes you`ll get a bulb that will last forever, and sometimes you`ll replace a bulb twice in one week. You must never touch the bulb with your hands. Don`t use paper towels either. Your body oils and even lint will cause a temperature deviation on the glass bulb and it will crack when it gets to hot. Use lint free perfectly clean Micro fiber.

5. Don`t worry about the UV rays - that`s the whole reason you bought the lights to begin with. The light is what reveals the imperfections in the paint. It won`t give you skin cancer, and of course common sense tells you to not stare into the light - no matter how many mushrooms you take.

6. This is just a reminder to re-read #3. Twice. :chuckle:

7. Make sure you have enough amps/volts to handle the power these things pull AND run other power tools at the same time or you`ll be blowing the circuit breakers all the time.

Hope this helps ... now go back and read # 3 one more time.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintlysins

4. Replacing bulbs. Sometimes you`ll get a bulb that will last forever, and sometimes you`ll replace a bulb twice in one week. You must never touch the bulb with your hands. Don`t use paper towels either. Your body oils and even lint will cause a temperature deviation on the glass bulb and it will crack when it gets to hot. Use lint free perfectly clean Micro fiber.

Thanks! About #4. I cleaned it with paper towel and rubbing alcohol. Is that bad? The paper towel didn`t leave any lint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used surgical gloves when handling them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your objective is to not touch them at all. I know wiping them down is touching them, you`re bound to leave some residual on the bulb somehow or sometime. As for the surgical gloves, they`re always contaminated with the `no-stick-to-each-other-dust` that`s found in/on them.

On the other hand, no matter how careful you are, some just burn out/blister/blow/crack quite quickly and others seem to last forever.

Hope this helps,
    SaintlySins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information