Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys and gals,

I know for a fact that I saw a press release at some point from DuPont that cleared up the fact that Teflon can not possibly bond to automotive finishes (due to the fact it requires 700+ degree heat).

Does anyone have a link, or an idea where I can find it? I tried searching here and google briefly with no luck.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s common knowledge isn`t it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    It`s common knowledge isn`t it?

Laugh, one would think, right?

I just spent an hour looking through local Craigslist ads from "detailers" and 3 out of 4 of them listed a Teflon coating as their biggest sell.

I am actually doing an extensive project/presentation about my detailing company to some investors (for a management class at SDSU) and I wanted to find that for part of my presentation.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumadar
    Laugh, one would think, right?

I just spent an hour looking through local Craigslist ads from "detailers" and 3 out of 4 of them listed a Teflon coating as their biggest sell.

I am actually doing an extensive project/presentation about my detailing company to some investors (for a management class at SDSU) and I wanted to find that for part of my presentation.

:xyxthumbs

Ah, I see. Well...

(In my best Jeremy Clarkson impression)

I went on the internet and I found this:

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that they sell it themselves on their own site.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the 50 layers I have of Dupont Wax W/Teflon isn`t going to stick.....:laugh:
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, found this website: Teflon Based waxes and Sealants

Quote from their website, "Even if it was possible to bond Teflon to the vehicle paint, Teflon would give a dull, flat appearance on the vehicle’s surface, since it is a dull product. So if a large enough quantity is used to “protect†the paint, the paint will, in fact appear dull, this makes the entire procedure all but useless.

Even the manufacturer of Teflon does not recommend using it as a car wax additive. DuPont Chemicals (The producer of TeflonÂ) has stated: “The addition of a Teflon Fluor polymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon is beneficial in car waxes.â€

Sounds like DuPont is flip-flopping for financial gain reasons. Maybe they should go into politics, lol.

**Ah hah! I found some more stuff, from Autopia actually, "Stay away from teflon....it has no functionality in car waxes or sealants......take a look at this--->

To point to some concrete evidence regarding Teflon. This comes from Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine,

January, 1989, page 110.

A direct quote:

My conclusion is based on the information I have gathered in the past year from representatives, lab technicians and chemists

from many leading car care product companies, including DuPont, the maker of Teflon. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont`s

Car Care Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax.

We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon fluorpolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data

from other people that supports this position."

Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon is applied at 700 degrees F (371 degrees C), it is not a viable ingredient, and it is 100

percent useless in protecting the paint`s finish." - DetailKing, Senior Moderator.

That settles that. :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumadar

That settles that. :heelclick

Not really. The item you quoted is old and they have subsequently found a way to make Teflon stick to cars.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black240SX
    Not really. The item you quoted is old and they have subsequently found a way to make Teflon stick to cars.

How`s that? :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    As time passes and the more I learn about detailing the more I appreciate mostly natural products over synthetic when it comes to preserving a car`s finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DNC
    As time passes and the more I learn about detailing the more I appreciate mostly natural products over synthetic when it comes to preserving a car`s finish.

I don`t agree. At this point, sealants are much more durable than *most* waxes. Really, most waxes disappear in about one month, depending on conditions (garaged, weather, km`s etc). The only exception is Collinite which is a wax that equals the durability of sealants.

The only aspect of protection that favours waxes, is their tendency to provide a thicker coating and resist water-spotting better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black240SX

Then it wouldn`t be Teflon anymore :grinno:

Teflon (as we commonly refer to it) inherently has particular properties that make Teflon what it is. One of those qualities is the way it bonds (or doesn`t) to surfaces- which is the main (sole?) reason Teflon is so amazing. That same property makes it impossible to have Teflon bond to paint. You can put some modified version of Teflon in a wax product, but you are then removing the entire point of using Teflon in the first place :nixweiss

Does anyone have any links that explain how Teflon DOES bond to paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Teflon and Carnauba wax have something in Common, neither bond to paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickery
    Teflon and Carnauba wax have something in Common, neither bond to paint.

Um.....:laugh:

Carnauba wax doesn`t bond to paint? Care to qualify that statement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wax doesn`t bond to paint, it sits on top of it. Wax uses solvent to dry on surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information