Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have learned a great deal on this site with special thanks to accumulator and a few others. I have perfected keeping my soft paint black car swirl free in the warmer months however I have a mean winter ahead of me and I was curious what others do to clean their cars.

In the warmer months I use constant foam gun pressure while very gently cleaning the big debris off with my boars hair brush. I then rinse the car and repeat with multiple sheepskin mits using two grit guarded buckets. Finish up by drying with a freshly washed waffle weave.

I cant imagine washing any other way as the results speak for themselves. After 8 months without polishing the car looks very close to perfect in direct sunlight. For the winter in other years I have went to coin-op car washes and brought 2 grit guarded buckets with my own soap and warm water. I rinse the car with the provided pressure washer to remove big debris and use only sheepsknin with NO FOAM GUN pressure obviously. I then rinse the car with the rinse setting of filter water and dont dry the car. This feels harmful for the car and does induce some marring after an entire winter. I was curious what others do? Will ONR benefit in any way? I just picture the unrinsed sand, salt and dirt being rubbed into the paint and doing horrible damage. Perhaps I am worrying too much as I will be doing a final polish II quick once over in the spring anyways, so maybe I should not worry about creating some light winter wash induced marring.

Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t use onr for a black car. It`s a good product, but again BLACK is sensitive. I did induce swirl/scratches especially on the hood of my black car. I noticed the fine scratches after 3 washes of onr. It`s to bad, because it really simplifies the wash regimen. I just purched the foamaster from autogeek. I should have it by next week.
    "...whoever CLEANSES himself from the unclean... be a vessel for honorable and noble purposes…” (II Timothy 2:21). :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn`t have any issues on black cars I`ve done with ONR. I plan on using a steam cleaner this winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash my black car with ONR and have no trouble.

If the car is particularly dirty, I run it through a touch-free car wash before hand to get most of the bigger particles off the paint.

If your car is protected with multiple coats of a slick carnauba or something like Klasse SG, then you`ll find that you can get most of the dirt off of your car with ONR and very very little pressure. This makes a HUGE difference.

I have used ONR when my car has NOT been waxed recently, AND it was excessively dirty without inducing swirls or marring. However, this takes alot longer, and you have to be alot more careful. In this case, I would take a wet MF towel or mitt, lay it on the paint, then lift it off. NO WIPING. Then turn it over, and lay it on the paint again. Then rinse, and repeat on a new section. As you can imagine, this took forever, and is probably not worth the time and effort.

And besides, at the end of the day, you`ll never keep your daily driver perfectly flawless. It`s a fact of life. You can`t take something like a clearcoat, whose thickness is measured in thousandths of an inch, and expect it to survive 100% intact. Especially when you consider what it`s up against. It`s exposed to hot sun, acid rain, salt, and sand every single day. Not to mention the hundreds of other cars around you throwing up all kinds of dirt and debris that is slamming head on into your car at 70+ miles per hour. It`s just not going to hold up over time.

So I would say, protect your car as best you can. Wash it consistently with ONR as carefully as you can through the winter. And then, IF, by spring, you have some minor swirls and marring....well that`s just an excuse to bust out the PC and hunker down in your garage with a few cold ones and take some satisfaction and pride in restoring your car`s beauty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse
    Didn`t have any issues on black cars I`ve done with ONR. I plan on using a steam cleaner this winter.

ONR works great for me too
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    I struggle to use ONR in the summer, but theres no way I wold use it on a car that`s covered in salt/snow crap.

I just pull into the heated shop :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    I just washed my 08 Denali for the third time this week because of the snow we`ve gotten. I just held up the halogens after I finished to check for any spots I may have missed, and no swirls for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxjax
    I just washed my 08 Denali for the third time this week because of the snow we`ve gotten. I just held up the halogens after I finished to check for any spots I may have missed, and no swirls for me.

Washed, or ONR`d?
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    With all the ONR talk around autopia lately I have one main question for everyone: If it lubricates so incredibly well and prevents marring (even with non rinsed dirty winter vehicles) shouldn`t it be the best and only soap to use even during summer washes with foam guns and boars hair brushes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Downgear
    With all the ONR talk around autopia lately I have one main question for everyone: If it lubricates so incredibly well and prevents marring (even with non rinsed dirty winter vehicles) shouldn`t it be the best and only soap to use even during summer washes with foam guns and boars hair brushes?

I use it all the time, no need for foam guns or boars hair brushes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started using ONR sometime in Sept this year when weather was still good, with the intention of just practicing for the coming winter months. I ended up using it every week and twice a week sometimes. That said, this is simply a hobby for me, and I see myself spending more time on my cars doing traditional washes next summer. There`s just a different feeling around using foam guns and wash mitts with 2BM, rinsing with a hose, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts and opinions, keep them coming! I thought i would add a few pictures to really add some life to this post.

A few winter pictures to show the kind of dirt, sand and salt that you would be essentially rubbing into the paint if you did not rinse or use boars hair:

Notice the sand and particles that are all sticking to the paint.

Few pics of the paint before polishing after an entire winter of many washes at the self wash coin-op with my buckets and just sheepskin (NOTE: the car was very dusty):

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you learn how to use ONR correctly. You aren`t rubbing it into the paint if you do it correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

No way would I use ONR on that. :shocked

However, what I would do is take that to the coin op, spend a few minutes pressure washing (maybe even use their soap) to get all of that nasty grit off, then come home and ONR it. I use a presoak method (10:1, probably wayyyy too strong) in a spray bottle before I touch the mitt to paint. I also find that plush MF mitts (like the Vroom ones you can get at Target) work much better with ONR than sheepskins.

Post Thanks / Like
    My truck has been dirty sometime when I use ONR. If it is real dirty I may go to a IBA and spray it off first. Then come home and use ONR. Mt truck is not black either. But the wife`s Pathfinder is dark green. Shows everything. But I have not had any trouble with swirls using ONR, 2 buckets and a high quality schmitt.

The car above looks like it had alot of salt on it. I would spray it off first. You can`t help but get that salt in your schmitt. 2 Buckets for sure!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information