Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the autopia forums for info and product recommendations in the past, but have now joined to look for specific help regarding my 1967 Volvo 1800S. The car has what seems to be single stage red paint, probably applied about 7-8 years ago. It was apparently one of those 3-day jobs--not a $5000 concours treatment.

Anyway, the car looks great in red. My normal regimen has been to wash the car with ONR, clay it with Clay Magic clay and lube made from ONR and distilled H2O, then use Meg`s Deep Crystal cleaner followed up by KAIO, both applied and removed using MF towels. This gives the car great gloss, but has failed to remove what looks to be a deeper haze or oxidation or water stain of some kind, sort below the surface. This is most noticeable on the fins and trunklid, but in the picture below you can see it just above the car`s beltline.

I first noticed this when I once put the car through an automatic car wash. What a mistake! I had a car show the next day and was desperate, but those harsh chemicals left all kinds of streaks and water marks, even though I dried the car immediately in complete shade. Maybe this indicates a problem with the paint. Something similar happened this past summer on July 4th. I had the car parked for the night on the street at my in-laws in Buena Park, CA, where it is legal to shoot off fireworks in the street on the 4th. The car ended up with a coat of smoke and ash bits (from all the neighbors` pyrotechnic exploits), caked under a heavy layer of Orange County night condensation. There are still marks from the ash bits visible in the decklid, even after the multiple rounds of my above-mentioned regimen I`ve done since then.

I don`t knowledge what kind of paint it is, but it must be something that was legal to apply in California within the last 10 years. I`ve gotten those streaks gone, but the oxidation/haze/stains remain. It is virtually invisible in morning light or shade, but becomes very noticeable in the afternoon California sun, or especially under fluorsecent and/or mercury vapor lights.

Here`s an older pic. I`ll try to get some more soon.

Keeping in mind what I`ve already tried, what would you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    This just got approved by the mods, so I`m bumping it up to be visible. I`ve taken some closer pictures and will try to post a reply with the link(s). I tried uploading them to the member gallery, but it didn`t seem to let me.

Ah ha, here we go:

1967 Volvo 1800S

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say it was in need of a machine polish to remove some of the dead suface paint, done carefully of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Help needed please--anyone?
    1967 Volvo 1800S

Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree that it probably just needs a more aggressive polishing.

Meg`s Deep Crystal is really mild. You might be able to deal with it by hand with something more aggressive like ScratchX or #80.

Here are some examples of working old single stage finishes by hand and machine:

Pictures from Meguiar`s Open Garage - January 10th, 2008

1966 Rambler Extreme Makeover - April 24th Open Garage Pictures & Comments

Pictures from Meguiar`s Garage - July 26

1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Convertible

PC.

Thread Information