Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are actually 5 steps to correct leather ID visual, tactile, scratch, moisture and microscope. The IICRC in the UK covers all 5 of these tests rather than just the 3. These tests only take a matter of minutes to perform and can tell you a lot of information including what can be cleaned and what cannot as well as what type of leather you have. A simple 40x pocket microscope is one of the most useful tools there is in a leather technicians toolkit but it is surprising how few people use them (however, you do need to know what you are looking for)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    The problem I see is that most "experts" seem to only want to discuss one pricey product when discussing protected leather.

They will not tell if you the many other products out there that are not true conditioners (i.e., not loaded with oils such as PB`s Leather stuff or 4* Leather Conditioner , etc) are bad. etc. There is too much FUD being used to discuss this and makes me very suspicious. If coated leather is so much like vinyl, why does it take a very very expensive product to maintain it.

The many current conditioners on the market (the "bad" ones) do not seem to be DESTROYING leather apparently otherwise we would hear more about that. It also may involve theoretical aspects versus reality. That is, it is not that big of a deal.

:dance

I don`t believe I have ever told people to use expensive products. Oh you meant experts.

As Judy said, cleaning is the most important aspect of preserving your leather. No conditioner is going to destroy the leather, but it isn`t a panacea either. What Judy says is that over time a conditioner can accelerate the degradation of the leather coating. Whether that is true or not, I don`t know.

Yes, you are correct that current leather coatings are pretty durable and long lasting. Eagle Ottawa says to just use a damp towel. I recommend using a mixture of 3% Joy and water for a cleaner. A Scotch Brite Delicate Duty (the white one) pad for scrubbing will clean into the grain of the leather while doing little damage to the coating. Is that satisfactory for inexpensive cleaning?

For what it is worth, I don`t recommend leather conditioners. The humidity on the east coast keeps the leather pretty well hydrated. I am not sure if conditioners would help in a drier environment, but if it works for you then use it.

As for other leather repair products, I have recommended good quality and moderately expensive products. People love to pimp LeatherMaster and Leatherique. If I used these products, then I wouldn`t make any money. I have never met a mobile tech that uses Leatherique products besides Rejuvinator and Prestine. Even then it was only a couple that used these two products. Leatherique has done a good job of marketing their product to their market.

On LeatherMaster, I have been underwhelmed. I went to Stainsafe training five years ago and felt like Indy in the South Park episode. I went by Leather Master when they where in Greensboro ten years ago and it was ok. LM is another company that has done a good job of marketing. I tried their repair products years ago and was unimpressed. Supposedly they have redone their repair line, but I am still skeptical. Their cleaners and conditioners are decent, but I don`t think their anything special. My biggest problem is they are expensive. Their coatings are like two dollars an ounce. Give me a break. Most of you guys just use the cleaners and conditioners though. If you like them, then by all means continue.

Post Thanks / Like
    IICRC is more of a cleaning organization.

Yes, I understand the other methods, but I doubt to many people will tell the difference based on touch. Suede or nubuck are about the only easy leathers to tell by touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but it is all giving you information which is used to give you an overall identification of the leather. Unfinished leather feels very different to finished leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    parused this thread quickly... i see costco has the magi seal, but i want to try the zaino as i have read it gives you that new leather smell, is that correcT???

and other recommendations? suggestions

phats
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Zaino sometimes just for the smell, even though it does little to nothing for conditioning protected leathers. The smell is just that good.

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE!! good to know..from the little reading Ive done here, conditioners are somewhat of a waste anyway... the cleaners are the key...

phats
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally really like Lexol pH-Leathjer Cleaner first, then followed by a thin application of Lexol Leather Conditioner. I`ve used it in BMW and Audi with a great deal of success.

First, use the Lexol pH-Leather Cleaner. Apply just a bit to a damp terry face cloth and gently run it over the seat. It will foam up, and the dirt will be pulled out of the pores. Wipe it down a couple of times with a clean damp cloth. Then, follow up with Lexol Leather Conditioner while the seats are still damp.

I use a clean terry facecloth, and put about a quarter sized bit of Lexol conditioner on the cloth. Then, again, gently wipe over the seat. Let is sit and absorb into the leather for about 10-20 minutes. Wipe it down gently with anothe soft towel and voila! Your seats should look and feel great. Never sticky or oily or slippery.. just natural and clean and soft. I`ve used it for years and am very pleased.

We moved to Singapore, where its very hot and humid, and the Lexol has kept my seats in great shape. I buy it from local company, ProMedUSA online at Lexol® . In the states, you can find it just about anywhere.

I also use their KozaK Auto DryWash cloth to keep the exterior of my car cleaned and polished... without water and without any scratching! It really works well here in our warm climate. I buy that also from ProMedUSA at KozaK®

They have a very, very cute video on their website and on YouTube. Here`s the hyperlink to it: YouTube - The KozaK Girl: Sexy Asian Girl Can Really Wipe Down a Car!

I think you`ll really enjoy it!

Good luck with your seats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Skimmed through this and still not getting it. My wife has a 2007 Acura MDX. I`m assuming it is protected. I tried Lexol on it and wasn`t happy with the results. So, what is the recommended cleaner? water, woolite, what?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptzippy
    Skimmed through this and still not getting it. My wife has a 2007 Acura MDX. I`m assuming it is protected. I tried Lexol on it and wasn`t happy with the results. So, what is the recommended cleaner? water, woolite, what?

If you didn`t get good results with Lexol I`d suggest trying Zaino, Duragloss or Mothers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptzippy

My best results have come from Leather Masters products. I suggest the LM soft cleaner or strong cleaner depending on the amount of soiling and then the LM Protection Cream.

I`ve also had good results using Woolite in a 1:6 or 1:10 dilution (strong or light cleansing) followed by the protection cream.

Use the cleaner with a soft foam applicator pad and work up lots of suds. For stubborn dirt use a soft bristle brush but be careful not to abrade the leather or stitching. Wipe off the residue completely with damp MF towels and go over the cleaned area twice to remove all traces of the cleaner. Buff with a dry MF.

Most leather conditioners used on semi-aniline (protected) leather leave an oily residue after application and that attracts and holds dust and dirt while the LM Protection Cream is more like a sealant that dries and therefore resists dirt accumulation much better. So conditioners tend to make your leather get dirtier and wear faster.

Here is a link to LM products. I have no affiliation with LM or this site.

Leather Master Protection Cream 250 mL - ProAutoGear

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming the leather is clean, how should you hydrate it to keep it from developing cracks/creases? Microfiber dampened with distilled water?

Can you just leave a damp towel on the leather overnight?

My seats look great now, but I see some early creases in the driver`s thigh support that I would like to remove/minimize.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for the LM protection cream!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSOsr
    Assuming the leather is clean, how should you hydrate it to keep it from developing cracks/creases? Microfiber dampened with distilled water?

Can you just leave a damp towel on the leather overnight?

My seats look great now, but I see some early creases in the driver`s thigh support that I would like to remove/minimize.

Mike

Most of the hydration will be through the air. You should have little problem in Florida during the summer, LOL. Trying to add hydration through the urethane coating doesn`t work well. You also don`t want to over wet your leather as it will actually cause cracking and hardening.

Leather will form creases. This is natural and if the leather is clean and hydrated it should not crack. Like your hands, they have creases and as long as they don`t get too dry they won`t have cracks. Unlike your hands, the leather in your car is coated with a urethane coating so conditioners don`t penetrate that coating well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been driving myself crazy trying to come up with conclusions on this topic of leather care. I like most, have protected leather and want avoid future creases and wear. I have decided on Leather Masters as it seems to have the most votes. My car is a convertible as well so the sun will be adding to the drying process.

Should I purchase the protection cream, vital conditioner and soft cleaner from LM? After reading 9 pages I am still not sure 100% which of these 3 products will best suit my requirements to keep the leather at its best.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information