Post Thanks / Like
    Whats up autopia peeps, my aunt has an 02 TL with Michelin Primacy mxv4 tires. The issue im having is these tires keep turning brown. Now i heard/read that cheaper simple silicone products will turn your tires brown and may promote cracking. If im not mistaken your suppose to use water based tire shine dressings. Well my Civic Si has Michelin Pilot exalto a/s tires and i have never had them turn brown on me. Always a nice satin natural black finish, i simply scrub em before my routine car wash with Meguiars gold class shampoo using a microfiber sponge (only used for my tires/wheel wells). For tire dressing on my Civic i use Meguiars vinyl & rubber protectant and my tires are a nice deep black with shine. Personally i prefer a more satin black natural shine than the "wet look" this Meguiars produce gives me but since it still looks good to me and hasnt gave me any issues, ill stick with it till i finish the bottle. However im not sure if this Meguiars vinyl & rubber protectant has silicone in it, it doesn`t have an ingredient list on the bottle. So i dunno if this is whats causing my aunt`s TL michelin tires to turn brown. I also heard from a friend that tires "loom", which means they emit a lubricant that turns them a slight brown to prevent overdrying/cracking...the tire manufacturer does this to help protect the tire, is this true? So far ive tried krud kutter, oil eater, simple green, and Westley`s Bleche Wite Tire Cleaner to clean my aunt`s tires and when im done they are nice and black again, once they dry (i blow off the water droplets with a compressor) they turn brown again...what the hell!? Input is appreciated, thanks.

*I need to get her tires to be black like my Civic:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah...memories...this reminds me of a thread about my Acura tires...and seeing that really small white car reminds me of another thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of them to keep turning brown. Only when greasy dressings are left on.

Nice Rota Slips.

Post Thanks / Like
    try some purple power with a brush then follow up with 2 coats of endurance high gloss tire shine, if that dosent work you have tire problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Are those the original tires on that TL? I really think age of the tire plays into this problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Ah...memories...this reminds me of a thread about my Acura tires...and seeing that really small white car reminds me of another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stiffdogg06
    Never heard of them to keep turning brown. Only when greasy dressings are left on.

Nice Rota Slips.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere
    try some purple power with a brush then follow up with 2 coats of endurance high gloss tire shine, if that dosent work you have tire problems

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Are those the original tires on that TL? I really think age of the tire plays into this problem.

1. your acura tires turned brown too? that small white car is my 1/10 HPI E10 Drift spec rc car with S2k body.

2. I dont use the "hot shine"/black magic crap. :O Those dressings with silicone i believe turn your tires brown. Thanks man.

3. Thanks for the input, ill give it a shot.

4. They are fairly new, about a year old so far. They turned brown after 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually use APC+ 1:4 to remove my browning. Sometimes I feel lazy and don`t use tire shine but it stays matte for quite awhile if its dry

Post Thanks / Like
    meguiars hot shine does not make your tires go brown, i have personally requested info from meguiars about this and it is proven false

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like
    My experience is new tires, if treated from the start, don`t seem to get brown. Older tires get brown and don`t hold a shine nearly as long as new. I don`t know if this is because of built up dirt or seepage of chemicals out of the rubber. I`ve tried cleaning older tires with Dawn and scrub brush but still get the same effect. The old tires look good just after applying the shine but it doesn`t last as long and the tires look brown when the shine goes away. I suspect keeping the tires sealed from the beginning helps because it keeps dirt out of the rubber and adds a layer of UV protection.

Mostly I use Megs Hot Shine because I bought a bottle and want to use it up before moving on and because it leaves a nice long lasting shine on new tires. However, I`ve also use a couple of DG products and still get the same results. I tried v1 of the Ultimate TTGP once or twice on the tires - same. (TTGP on trim FTW!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The brown you see is coming from agents added to the rubber compound in the tire. Some tires brown more than others. As the tire flexes, it releases this agent and this slows the rubber aging process. I believe the proper term for this is "blooming".

To slow the release of this agent, wash your tires a few times with APC (8:1) and wipe dry. Once dry, apply a thin coat of your favorite dressing. Notice I said "slow" and not eliminate as you will not stop this release.

As I stated, some tires have more of this anti-aging agent than others. Those that do have a lot of this agent usually respond better to a tire dressing that does not leave an oily film, IOW, a water based dressing. Sadly, water based dressings don`t seem to last as long, especially in the rain.

To deal with this problem on your tires you will need frequent cleaning and reapplication of a dressing. When this anti-aging agent is depleted your tires will be aging faster and may even turn grey. You could also replace the tires with another brand if they are getting old. FWIW, my last set of Michelin`s browned rapidly. My Bridgestone replacement set don`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab
    The brown you see is coming from agents added to the rubber compound in the tire. Some tires brown more than others. As the tire flexes, it releases this agent and this slows the rubber aging process. I believe the proper term for this is "blooming".

To slow the release of this agent, wash your tires a few times with APC (8:1) and wipe dry. Once dry, apply a thin coat of your favorite dressing. Notice I said "slow" and not eliminate as you will not stop this release.

As I stated, some tires have more of this anti-aging agent than others. Those that do have a lot of this agent usually respond better to a tire dressing that does not leave an oily film, IOW, a water based dressing. Sadly, water based dressings don`t seem to last as long, especially in the rain.

To deal with this problem on your tires you will need frequent cleaning and reapplication of a dressing. When this anti-aging agent is depleted your tires will be aging faster and may even turn grey. You could also replace the tires with another brand if they are getting old. FWIW, my last set of Michelin`s browned rapidly. My Bridgestone replacement set don`t.

Great post Ive been having the same issues as the OP
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use p21s green gel to clean then i use Swissvax Pneu with the pneu painter style applicator brush..best combo in the states.. i really want the red gel bad.

and fyi this isn`t a michilin thing as my ps2`s i have never had an issue..more of a style than anything else..but for how much my ps2`s cost they better not brown..the thicker walled tires no matter what brand this can happen..my michilin mxgreen or whatever is on my 540i e34 1995 has had it happen but the swissvax pneu made them look great after 2 scrubbings with a tough brush and p21s gel. aro i bet would do the job as well!! but i use p21s and have had no issues with the tires ever since.

i suspect cars that go to the carwash every week and get the greasy oil based tire shine that splatters to be a a key player in a negative way for tires. try the swissvax a lil goes a long way and it will only work if the tire is prperly cleaned..if it doesn`t stick then i would say you have another contaminent.. sounds like you should switch cleaners anyways..i have had great luck using p21wheel gel on tires esp on the browning on my michelins on the 540.. ever since that problem has gone away..that was a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyezack87
    I usually use APC+ 1:4 to remove my browning. Sometimes I feel lazy and don`t use tire shine but it stays matte for quite awhile if its dry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere
    meguiars hot shine does not make your tires go brown, i have personally requested info from meguiars about this and it is proven false

Quote Originally Posted by Rob22315
    My experience is new tires, if treated from the start, don`t seem to get brown. Older tires get brown and don`t hold a shine nearly as long as new. I don`t know if this is because of built up dirt or seepage of chemicals out of the rubber. I`ve tried cleaning older tires with Dawn and scrub brush but still get the same effect. The old tires look good just after applying the shine but it doesn`t last as long and the tires look brown when the shine goes away. I suspect keeping the tires sealed from the beginning helps because it keeps dirt out of the rubber and adds a layer of UV protection.

Mostly I use Megs Hot Shine because I bought a bottle and want to use it up before moving on and because it leaves a nice long lasting shine on new tires. However, I`ve also use a couple of DG products and still get the same results. I tried v1 of the Ultimate TTGP once or twice on the tires - same. (TTGP on trim FTW!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab

Quote Originally Posted by Purplewidow
    i use p21s green gel to clean then i use Swissvax Pneu with the pneu painter style applicator brush..best combo in the states.. i really want the red gel bad.

and fyi this isn`t a michilin thing as my ps2`s i have never had an issue..more of a style than anything else..but for how much my ps2`s cost they better not brown..the thicker walled tires no matter what brand this can happen..my michilin mxgreen or whatever is on my 540i e34 1995 has had it happen but the swissvax pneu made them look great after 2 scrubbings with a tough brush and p21s gel. aro i bet would do the job as well!! but i use p21s and have had no issues with the tires ever since.

i suspect cars that go to the carwash every week and get the greasy oil based tire shine that splatters to be a a key player in a negative way for tires. try the swissvax a lil goes a long way and it will only work if the tire is prperly cleaned..if it doesn`t stick then i would say you have another contaminent.. sounds like you should switch cleaners anyways..i have had great luck using p21wheel gel on tires esp on the browning on my michelins on the 540.. ever since that problem has gone away..that was a few years ago.

1. Thats the thing, ive used oil eater/krud kutter/simple green/bleche-wite and all the brown comes out from the "blooming" so i rinse em clean and now they are black. Apply dressing and they turn brown once the shine goes away. Brown is still present..ahh lol

2. Oh ok good to know, i guess i can go ahead and purchase that product from them without hesitation.

3. I agree, its only my aunt`s Tl with this prob, my civic and dad`s tahoe as well as our neighbors cars dont have brown tires.

4. Oh yeah thats the term "blooming" i sometimes get it twisted and say/type "looming". Thanks for the input.

5. Thanks ok ill give those products a shot

Post Thanks / Like
    I was having the same problem, I mostly cured it by going to less harsh tire cleaners. I think part of the problem is my dressing and part the age of the tires.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...-cleaners.html

Thread Information