Post Thanks / Like
    Well today is my birthday, and my father wanted to give me my present before he left for work. I opened the box and inside was a 10" orbital buffer with 3 `pads`... "applicator, polish, and terry." It isn`t the Porter Cable 7424 that I wanted, but I couldn`t say it wasn`t the right product because I knew it was a thoughtful gift. He`s the last person I`d call cheap, he just didn`t know what to buy I guess and got whatever buffer they had in Home Depot or Loews.

ANYWAY... I`ve never owned any type of buffer before. Is this thing going to be an improvement over polishing/waxing by hand? How much worse is it than the Porter Cable and Makita products? Also, how would I use those 3 `pads` that came with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a whole lot of good for correcting, but it can be used for spreading wax on and taking it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKER
    Not a whole lot of good for correcting, but it can be used for spreading wax on and taking it off.

+1 i have one and its great for spreading and taking off wax its not meant for paint correction like a pc/flex/rotary etc, but i love it when i just want to quickly rewax a car after a wash its much faster than the porter cable and less hassle since you just thow on a bonnet that you can buy at pretty much any store (wally world, sears, HD, lowes) and go instead of having to order LC pads.

happy birthday!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find out where it was purchased perhaps you could exchange it for a 6" buffer which will be much simpler to work with. I know Lowe`s stocks a nice one by Makita and Sears has a more powerful 6" in the Craftsman line.

Most will say that you can`t get any swirl correction using one of these buffers, but I`ve seen some amazing results with pictures using Meguire`s M105 and a wool or MF bonnet. Do some searches on this forum (I believe qwertydude uses one with great results) and the Megs on line forum. Meguiar`s Online

Post Thanks / Like
    The 10" polisher is fine for appyling waxes/sealants/glazes. It can also be used for minor correction. I have one as well as a 4"WEN rechargable. They are great for quick appications of wax (the WEN even accepts the same pads as my Cyclo so it can do some correction in tight spots)

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the wax application. My friend has a 42` boat, and the 10" buffer is all he will use to wax it.

Thread Information