Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have all the details but my buddy has a late model Benz sedan and the dealer says that he contaminated his mass airflow sensor with his silcone tire dressing. The air intakes is in a front fender well, I have no details on the dressing, aerosol or jell, or anything else. Anyone ever heard this one before?
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    It may not necessarily be the dressing used, but could be the water that could have been sprayed on it 1st. Also, solvent based dressing can conduct electricity and short out electrical components. Having the air intact in the fender well doesn`t mean much unless the car took in water driving through water. I don`t think that`s the case here or your engine would be hydro-locked. Either way, it sounds like a pricey repair. I`d price out a used mass air sensor(air flow meter) from Car-Part.com and have an independent garage install it for 1/2 the price.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    General Motors had a Technical Service Bulletin delaing with owners of GM trucks, SUV`s and H2`s with MAF sensor problems to deny warranty claims if aftermarket air intakes were installed, especially K&N or other "oiled gauze" type filters.

It seemed that some customers would over oil their filters and the excess would be sucked in through the MAF sensor. It was probably GM`s way of saving $$ and denying claims.

In your friends case, I dont see how excess tire dressing could be sucked through a fender intake and get passed an air filter.

Sounds like a service manager is trying to boost his numbers for the month to deny his claim.

Have him spray Quick Dry Electric Contact Cleaner over the sensor. That`s how I clean mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they trying to deny warranty coverage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yal
    Are they trying to deny warranty coverage?

Well I think so from the way he talked, like $285 I think he said, sounded like they blamed him. How could they do that without some analysis of the contaminate on the MAF unit? I have to get back to him tomorrow and tell him about this thread and I will add more then. It was email conversation at end of day.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    dealer BS pure and simple

Ask to see the air filter, if this was the case the air filter would be full of oil stains. Maybe oil could have gotten around the wire harness if he was doing an engine detail, but it is very unlikely he could get enough dressing in there past the weaterproof seals to short circuit it
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I just watched a special on the Speed Network about K&N. Long story short; they (K&N) have NEVER found any of their oil in MAF sensor that their customers say caused it to go bad. If you have any questions about this, I’m sure you can go to the K&N site, or Speed Network and see if you can find the story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try getting the manufacturer of the dressing involved to see if they`ll pick up some of the expenses or if they`d be willing to discuss cause and origin with the dealer. If they help offer then give them a plug here.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisanaJeeper
    dealer BS pure and simple

Ask to see the air filter, if this was the case the air filter would be full of oil stains. Maybe oil could have gotten around the wire harness if he was doing an engine detail, but it is very unlikely he could get enough dressing in there past the weaterproof seals to short circuit it

He is west coast guy and I am east coast but I will get more info from him later today but this was not an engine detail.
    Peter Sterns

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is to deny warranty coverage then I agree that it is total BS. A lot of the dealers are being squeezed every which way and some dealerships are going to come up with any excuse to deny coverage. The dumbest one I have heard so far is that clipping air freshners to the air outlets caused the hvac fan unit to fail:shocked But you would be surprised how many car owners would just say "Well darn, I guess i`ll just pay then".

Have them prove it and don`t be afraid to go over their heads directly to MBUSA. Or, try another dealership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yal
    If it is to deny warranty coverage then I agree that it is total BS. A lot of the dealers are being squeezed every which way and some dealerships are going to come up with any excuse to deny coverage. The dumbest one I have heard so far is that clipping air freshners to the air outlets caused the hvac fan unit to fail:shocked But you would be surprised how many car owners would just say "Well darn, I guess i`ll just pay then".

Have them prove it and don`t be afraid to go over their heads directly to MBUSA. Or, try another dealership.

So what was their BS on this, restricting airflow overloaded fan, you can close the outlet on the duct and that does not bother anything.
    Peter Sterns

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m positive when the dealer delivered that car it had tire dressing on it. They`re just trying to get out of the bill.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen some stupid "I`m denying your warranty because of..." excuses, but this one takes the cake.

I would definitely revisit the dealer and ask to speak with someone higher.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it`s all about???

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4...1967 Ford Mustang Coupe...2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Post Thanks / Like
    Allright, the new guy can offer some insight and build the Post Count.

the MAF units are sensitive. However, I know quite a few people who have gotten around a replacement by pulling the MAF and cleaning it with CRC MAF cleaner spray.

Depending on which engine your buddy has will determine how tough the MAF is to get to.

Try the folks at MBWorld and his fellow car brethern can guid him in a bit more.

E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emrliquidlife

the MAF units are sensitive. However, I know quite a few people who have gotten around a replacement by pulling the MAF and cleaning it with CRC MAF cleaner spray.

E

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Also, if it`s really bad, you can take the MAF off, fill up part of a large plastic bag with rubbing alcohol, put the MAF in, and slosh it around to clean it all up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information