Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I am currently paint bumpers and side skirts on my Alpine White e34 BMW. I have just laid down the first two layers of clear coat and everything is coming out great. This morning, I pull one of the dried bumpers up to the car and there is a clear distinction between the older paint and the freshly painted bumpers. I do not want to paint the whole car to get it to match because the rest of the body is in great condition.

Are there any techniques to finish off the clear coat that will make the bumpers match. My old white has more of a yellowish to it from the sun baked clear coat. However, the old clear coat is in good condition and still shines. Its just the new panels look much more WHITE. Are there any additives I can put into the clear to coat to make it match a faded paint job? I do not want to strip the clear off and spray another white base again.

My other question, since I doubt there is nothing I can do but to have the new bumpers and side skirts resprayed with a closer matched paint, is regarding restoring the factory paint.

Can I wet sand the factory clear coat down and re-polish it and will doing this enhance the brightness of the white? Are there any techniques to enhance the factory white paint job to get it to match the freshly painted panels?

How about spraying new clear coat?

Advice needed, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! Its not gonna happen! The new paint will always look different! After all, they are different, arent they? I would try to do some polishing to make the old paint look as good as possible, but there will always be a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do plan on polishing, white is so hard to match.

Thread Information