Post Thanks / Like
    My wife`s car has an off white leather interior. The stiching that is the same color gets soiled on the drivers side seat. Can I use scotch guard on the stiching or is there anything else that you could recommend to keep the threads clean?

Thanks
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    My concern in doing so is the solvent level in Scotch Guard. It could very well remove the coating on the leather (if there is one), the dye, or both.

I would try it in an area you won`t see first. Spray a very light coat and let it dry... NO WIPING!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    My concern in doing so is the solvent level in Scotch Guard. It could very well remove the coating on the leather (if there is one), the dye, or both.

I would try it in an area you won`t see first. Spray a very light coat and let it dry... NO WIPING!

Thanks for the advice. That is what I was afraid of.
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    I have purchased a new car, I chose not to go with the overly expensive dealer teflon coating for black paint. Is there a teflon coating that would be recommended? I also have leather seats, is there an alternate to Scotchguard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare
    I have purchased a new car, I chose not to go with the overly expensive dealer teflon coating for black paint. Is there a teflon coating that would be recommended? I also have leather seats, is there an alternate to Scotchguard?

The Teflon coatings that are advertised are a scam. In order for Teflon to adhere to a surface it must be applied using high temperatures that would probably destroy the paint and would most likely melt the plastic parts on the car. There is no way in a liquid form that Teflon will adhere. A good sealant will perform better than the high profit protection packages that the dealer offers.
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    There are very good leather protectors on the market that work in the same way as scotchgard. Scotchgard itself does not work on leather which is why leather protectors were developed. Make sure you choose one that works as many suppliers have simply changed the name of their `conditioners` to protectors without changing the product which means that they do not work as a protector.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. Thanks. Are there any good sealers you would recommend, since Teflon may be the wrong terminology? I found some unknown car wax with teflon at the local autoshop. Are the Meguair leather protection products good? it was recommended at the store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meg`s leather care is a cleaner/conditioner rather than a protector it would be important to test to see how much protection it was offering. It also contains oils which may sit on the surface and simply attract moer dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job on avoiding the dealer sealant package. You can purchase many paint sealants on the internet that will greatly outperform what the dealer would apply for a small fraction of the price (and without the delaer installed swirls too). Zaino, Klasse, and Meguiar`s all make quality sealants.

Keep looking around autopia to learn more. There is a lot of information to search from.

Thread Information