Post Thanks / Like
    I was at walmart the other night looking at the Mr. Clean setup and while I was walking out thinking to my self what IF you used the OMNIFILTER setups?

walmart has the Omnifilter whole house setup for $27.88 single cartridge 15k gal / 3 months

filter information from omnifilter:

OmniFilter - Replacement Cartridge

http://www.shopfilters.com/product_d...p?T1=OMN%2BOB5

however the one walmart sells has the filter in it....

my question is this I know that there was a post on this site about the CRSpotless *Cheap* replacement and I have been thinking about doing my own thing for the longest time. This is rated at 5 GPM and supposed to remove rust,sediment and taste/odor.

so if I bought 2 of these housings which is cheaper then buying the dual housing from PWgazette.com then I could use the DI Filter I found:

1) Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge DI Cartridge - eBay (item 280208503911 end time Oct-08-08 09:05:54 PDT)

or

http://www.shopfilters.com/product_d...OMN+RS4%2DDS12

so to recap this is what I was thinking, so I could get out cheaper and possibly have the same setup as mentioned in the Cheap CRSpotless thread....

2x $22.99 = $45.98

http://www.shopfilters.com/product_d...p?T1=OMN%2BOB5

1x $7.99 = $7.99 (these are sold in packs of 2...link below)

of http://www.shopfilters.com/product_d...OMN+RS4%2DDS12

Now for the hard part, the filters that are DI Filters are just spun poly filters with a 20 micron rating, however the RS4 filter from omnifilter is rated (spun poly) down to 5 micron and 5 GPM AND 15k gal. water or 3 months before being replaced. Spun Poly is a DI Filter, right or wrong?

I am betting that I am wrong on the spun poly being a DI filter, but they are sold on ebay for $14.99 each.....

Just was thinking and all, thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been discussed before, but the minerals that cause water spotting are not particles in the water, they are dissolved ions. Particulate filters will not remove them. I`m not sure if a charcoal filter will either, but charcoal causes a huge pressure drop and will become saturated quickly.

The key to understanding this is that a DI "filter" is not really a filter, it`s an ion exchange/capture medium where a chemical reaction is occurring.

Post Thanks / Like
    alright so I could still though use the filter housings as above, and buy DI Filters? There is a local place where I live that sells water remedation products and I used to work there and I am really good friends with the warehouse manager, so I dont think filters would be the problem to get. I am just trying to piece something together that is on my route that I travel everyday, as gas prices are nearing $5/gal here due to the storm in texas. If I can piece something together and not have to wait on shipping and get it all locally then I can use it that much quicker!

side thought:

DI Filters are ALL spun poly filters, I will call omnifilter and see if there RS4 filter is a DI filter, if not then hmmm...I`ll buy from the local guy...

edit 1: DI Filters have a resin in them (didnt know that) and the RS4 filters are not DI filters. I found a website filterguys and its posted below, good site for bulk resin, haven`t found it cheaper else where....

Post Thanks / Like
    oh btw DI Resin

they sell resin and lots of interesting stuff, seems to be geared towards the aquarium/fish tank hobbyist. They sell refillable cartridges and resin for everything

Thread Information