Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to improve on my glass cleaning and have never paid to much attention to the MF I used on the windows but I see some are designated for glass, very fine, almost no nap. Do these actually work better on glass?
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    i like using edgeless mf towels for windows, and also these sonus ultimate detailing towels (love these things) which are a small version (16X26) of an ultra-soft waffle weave drying towel (you get 2 in a pack) work well too... :up

Ultimate Microfiber Detailing Towel - Windows, Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly, I don`t have any edgeless, are they short (smooth) nap?
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pdsterns

they are a short/smooth nap. viking, mothers, megs, pakshak, sonus/blue perl, etc., ALL have good ones...

Post Thanks / Like

they are a short/smooth nap. viking, mothers, megs, pakshak, sonus/blue perl, etc., ALL have good ones...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures and I do have some like that. I use the purple passion waffle weave for general drying and ones like the white ones for other places but the question is really about some with no nap, like eyeglasses cloths, smooth no nap at all. The one I have has a corner pocket that says "glass".
    Peter Sterns

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had great luck with the blue vroom glass microfiber`s at target. Have you ever tried crumpled newspaper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures and I do have some like that. I use the purple passion waffle weave for general drying and ones like the white ones for other places but the question is really about some with no nap, like eyeglasses cloths, smooth no nap at all. The one I have has a corner pocket that says "glass".

the ones that say "glass" in the corner are usually the different weave mf cloths that are more smooth (and have straight lines going across IIRC with no nap) and i wouldn`t use them on my car at all IMO or for anything else in that regard. the small yellow waffle weave that is pictured is really soft and the size makes it ideal for window cleaning, drying any remaining water spots, etc... another option is to go to your local walmart and pick up the 2pk of the small white waffle weaves... http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-de...s-walmart.html

here is a close-up pic of the weave of the edgeless mf towel...

Post Thanks / Like
    try some newspaper.....it will make your glass crystal clear....The chemicals of the ink are working great for that....It is an old school method but after trying a lot of MF towels(maybe not the right one yet) it is the only one that do a great job for me...
    I AM HERE TO LEARN!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that the best MF is one that is of decent quality (none of those "rags" from walmart) and clean. I buy bulk MF at costco and dedicate half of the package to windows. Wash once before ever using on a window, and wash separately after every use. I no longer get any headaches from streaking.

Black and white newspaper is also great if you are having difficulty from streaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a bad of those MF `bag of rags` from W-mart...i knew they were pretty much junk for $5 lol, but i figured they`d be ok for things like rims and such (after washing the rags of course) but for windows...i`ve used my 16x16 MF towels...they arnt anything special just standard, and ive always had pretty good results. Just get one wet, and one dry...make sure your windows are COOOOOOL (very important) and just wipe a section clean with the wet and then wipe it dry with the dry.

Another thing that helps (at least with the outside) is as soon as you`re finished washing the car...squeegee the windows first before anything else and you`ll only have a couple spots to get

Post Thanks / Like
    for glass and windows, does it really matter what type of cloth you use? I use MF, but I notice no difference to terry cloth or anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    the ones that say "glass" in the corner are usually the different weave mf cloths that are more smooth (and have straight lines going across IIRC with no nap) and i wouldn`t use them on my car at all IMO or for anything else in that regard. the small yellow waffle weave that is pictured is really soft and the size makes it ideal for window cleaning, drying any remaining water spots, etc... another option is to go to your local walmart and pick up the 2pk of the small white waffle weaves... http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-de...s-walmart.html

About 3yrs ago I bought my first 2 MF`s, one has a corner pocket that says "dusting" and the other one says "glass". The dusting one is a nice green MF and seems to work for almost anything. The "glass" one is blue with no nap and managed to work its way to the bottom of my pile as I never liked it. I thought maybe I was missing something and should give it another try but maybe it`s just a rag.

I wash with ONR and have for over a year and love it, it is wonderful on the glass and makes final cleaning very easy, but what really bugs me is when I am done and happy with the windows something always shows up the next day. I come out of work at 5pm and the sun is low in the sky and now you see stuff you missed, mind you most people think my glass is spectacular but I always find something. If the windshield ever fogs inside it shows telltales of everything just to pi$$ me off.
    Peter Sterns

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80
    for glass and windows, does it really matter what type of cloth you use? I use MF, but I notice no difference to terry cloth or anything else.

I use all kinds of towels on auto glass and IMO the biggest issue is *lint*. Many cotton towels leave it, and so do most of my MFs (both plush and WW, including some made for glass). Very fine MF lint is simply awful..only shows up when the light is right and it`s a real PIA to get rid of. Cotton lint is much easier to clean away.

I like using cotton towels for the initial passes, especially in the winter when the glass might have a lot of abrasive [stuff] on it.

The no-nap woven MFs for glass do work OK for me, and unlike my WWMFs made for glass these haven`t started to lint after a few month`s use (at least not yet).

But my favorite final-pass towel for glass is the polypropyline glass towel from Griot`s (pn 14910). I keep going back to those for the jobs I want 100% perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80

use different cloths and if YOU find one that works well for you, stick with it... :up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information