Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

I just bought a red Toyota yaris two weeks ago. It had to be ordered from the factory in Japan so everything is very new, hasn`t been sitting on a lot for a while. I`m wondering what is the best way to keep the new car shine on my car and protect the paint. We decided not to go with the extra paint protection offered by the dealership because we heard it was a waste of money. I`d like to use something that I can apply and maintain myself.

I`ve been reading a bunch of stuff on the net and people are saying so may contradictory things.

"don`t wax your car, that only causes it to attract more dirt"

"wax your car, and use a cheap wax cause they`re mostly all the same"

"wax your car but don`t use a cheap wax because you get what you pay for"

"don`t use a wax, use a polymer technology"

"don`t put anything on a new car for at least 3 months"

"don`t use a polisher on new cars"

Anyway, I`m really confused about what to do now. All I know is that I want to keep my car looking as great as possible for as long as possible and I`m willing to put in a little elbow grease. Also, I`m thinking of putting some racing stripe decals on the car in a few months so I`d like anything I do to it to not interfere with the decals staying on.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest advice, don`t let the dealership detail, wash, or anything to the car when you get it. Pay the extra money to have a pro detailer go and prepare the car. Don`t even let them remove the plastic coverings. Let the detailer do that too. The dealership 90% of the time does a great job of doing one thing, and that`s putting swirls in your new paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nrengle
    My biggest advice, don`t let the dealership detail, wash, or anything to the car when you get it. Pay the extra money to have a pro detailer go and prepare the car. Don`t even let them remove the plastic coverings. Let the detailer do that too. The dealership 90% of the time does a great job of doing one thing, and that`s putting swirls in your new paint.

:wootitto!!! search for an autopian in your area!!!
    My profession and obsession

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. The car is sitting in my underground parkade now so there`s no worry of the dealership touching it. I`ve driven it for two weeks now in lots of rain and I`d like to know when and what I should be doing to protect it. Is it too soon to start claying and waxing it? Should new cars be left alone for a while? Also, I`d like suggestions on things I can do myself because I wasn`t planning on taking it to a detailer.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nrengle

i agree with that...i let them wash my new car(on 2005) and i received it full of swirls and polishing machine`s holograms :hairpull

DON`T LET THEM TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I AM HERE TO LEARN!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to car detailing there are to many chiefs, and not enough indians.

My best advice for a new car, assuming the dealership has not touched it.

When I bought my car straight off the lot, all I really needed to do was clay bar it. Straight off the lot, you might want to apply a wax as well.

Wax or polymer, its up to you. I like a little pop in my paint and found that I get that with most carnauba waxes, but they aren`t as durable as some polymer sealants.

So its up to you really. Your best bet is to do searches on these forums as there is TONS of information on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for answering my question evenflow. I`ve tried using the search feature but it doesn`t seem to be working. I keep getting a blank white page that says "done" on the bottom. Guess I`ll keep trying....

Anyone else have any other advice? Besides not taking it to the dealership?

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome

"don`t wax your car, that only causes it to attract more dirt"

Myth. Wax (or sealant) is a good thing.

"wax your car, and use a cheap wax cause they`re mostly all the same"

Use products from a reputable company. There are good products in all price ranges.

"wax your car but don`t use a cheap wax because you get what you pay for"

Ditto.

"don`t use a wax, use a polymer technology"

Find something you like, either wax or synthetic sealant, and use it regularly.

"don`t put anything on a new car for at least 3 months"

Old advice from old paint technologies (high solvents, non-catalyzed). No longer applies to modern factory finishes. Still applies to re-spray finishes (sort of).

"don`t use a polisher on new cars"

Current paint technologies are usually tougher than previous systems and therefore usually harder to fix if they get damaged. Personally, I consider a polisher mandatory for removing defects on new cars. But if you like a really long, really hard work, you can accomplish quite a bit by hand. (But machines are far more consistent and produce better results when used properly.)

The most important thing is to learn how to maintain your ride without causing any damage. You’ll never have to fix damage that was never there .

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much The Other PC, that was a really helpful response!

:thx

Thread Information