Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I just bought the car a little less than a year ago and finally have the time to do some correcting and polishing on it.

Anyway, the car is GrandPrix White and is single stage.

I tried a few products like OHC and Prima Swirl remover, Megs 83 with a PC and Sonus pads, it didn`t touch the paint, took out all the oxidation, swirls remained.

I am ready to buy a rotary, just want to make sure I buy the correct polishes pads and waxes so I don`t waste my time, its fun but tedious work and want to make sure I do it perfect.

I have seen a few threds but would just like to know what some of you professionals use specifically for these older Porsche`s.

Paint condition would be above average on swirls, and some moderate scratches, but in above average condition on paint shine , very repairable.

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a GP white `87 that I have been trying to polish out. The most aggressive thing I have used is a Makita rotary with an orange pad and Menzerna Final Polish II at about 1200-1400 RPM. The overall gloss has improved but I can still see some imperfections once I get it under artificial light (mother nature refuses me sun on waxing days).

I realize now I should have ordered some Menzerna SIP to finish down some of the deeper scratches but I wouldn`t mind trying some Dodo Lime Prime.

Let me know if you come up with a combo that works good for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to find another GP white owner trying to figure the same issue.

I too was thinking of going with the Makita and Menzerna SIP and begin with a purple wool pad.

The pads I used barely got white so the paint is concrete hard.

I don`t think it`s as soft as some other single stage paints out there.

Anyway, I may order the Makita today and get the wool pad and an assortment of pads and wait on what polish others have used.

Dodo sounds interesting, hopefully more post and experiences pop up about it soon.

I have a few door dings that need to be pulled and an antenna hole that needs to be taken care of, once nobody needs to play with it`s body I will tackle the paint issues!

I`ll let you know what I find out and will post pics.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Before giving up on the PC, I`d try the 3.5" PFW pads, and/or the 4" yellow and blue Edge wool pads being sold by CycloToolmakers. I`ve done some awfully impressive correction on hard paint with the 3.5" PFW, and it`s nice to *not* have to worry about holograms. IMO the PFW pads oughta replace orange/yellow foam, they`re simply that much safer and more effective.

But yeah, SS white can be about as hard as paint gets. IIRC the white pigment is often from titanium dioxide, hard stuff...

Thread Information