Post Thanks / Like
    Was working on my old touch by using a little laquer thinner to remove old paint and then to apply new touch up. A little of the thinner ran down my factory paint and has seemed to etch it.

This is a black 07 pathfinder. What can I use to remove the thinner on the paint? I`ve tried washing, then claying, then pc 4inch orange and powergloss to no avail. Finally tried 3m adhesive remover that did nothing.

Before I get to sanding this area anything else to try, say gasoline?

Anybody else run into this? I`m learning my 07 paint is extra soft as I light bird bomb that sat for about 3 hours etched deep into the paint too that will require wetsanding to fix.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Well either one of two things is happening here. Either the clear coat is gone or the panel was repainted using cheap laquer or enamel paint, gasoline will have the same effect on that paint as the thinner. Laquer thinner shouldn`t harm a urethane paint if it`s just a drip that was allowed to dry. Bird bombs shouldn`t etch in deep into paint in 3 hours. Only advice I can give is to polish with a gentle polish like scratch-x and live with the aftermath or repaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is a brand new car. I bought it new off the trailer with 3 miles on it. This is the rear bumper bottom portion. The thinner literally was on there less than 15 seconds and now etches the paint in a line. The bird bomb on the top of the hood did the same. This paint is super soft as it marrs and swirls very easily.

Should I proceed to wetsand lightly then polish out?

I still need to address the blob I made for the touch up and apply a layer of clear. How many layers do I put on this spot and how long to let dwell before wetsanding this area? I was going to apply but either a brush or a toothpic

Post Thanks / Like
    If you wetsand 2000 should do the job. Try diluting the thinner next time. It could have reacted to whatever was on your paint...a wax or a sealant perhaps? Get some wax and grease remover before you use the thinner.
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumper paint is different, the flex agents in it make it soft pliable and somewhat porous. Though on my old saturn I never had that problem and cleaned tough stains with lacquer thinner. I believe the saturns are painted entirely in "bumper paint". How do you dilute thinner by the way?

Reading into it more I know what happened since you`re working on a previous touch up, don`t worry your paint isn`t etched. What happened is that the old paint just dissolved into the thinner. When it dripped and dried it deposited that dissolved paint on your bumper. Try a clean rag and more thinner and you`ll be able to remove the dried on touch up paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thinner got on paint that is stock and was fine. The thinner ran away from me and ran down an edge onto flat vertical area. The chip is on an edge of the bumper about the size of half and inch x half and inch.

I`ve applied my second coat of touchup. I will then apply a layer or two of clear. How do I apply the clear as all I have is q-tips and toothpics.

I have trouble forming a nice bloob as the chip is on the tightest of angles before the panel goes vertically down.

I figured I would let is be a lil messy and layer on a little clear. Then i`m using 3k grit from megs then gonna try and hand polish out because of the area.

Sound good or do I need to start from scratch again? I`m trying to stay away from using hte thinner again as the first time things got messy and don`t want to create more problems.

Also what do you think of me wetsanding the area where the thinner got on? I posted above what I already tried and my next step is to wetsand. It is very unnoticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still need help guys. Anyone with experience wanna share some insight with me before I jump further into this. I just want some input on my steps and how I`m going about tackling this

Post Thanks / Like
    Best way would be to use an airbrush, I used to do touchups really well with it. But if all you`ve got is q-tips you may want to use something like a fine artist`s paintbrush for clear. Brush it on thinly and let it dry, build up layers til it`s higher that the surrounding paint then wet sand with a firm block. I use a small wooden block with the paper glued onto it. Sand until level then polish with a good compound, finish polish and if done right it`ll be invisible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQDetailer
    Try diluting the thinner next time.

Huh? Thinner is used to dilute. How do you dilute lacquer thinner?
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertydude
    Bumper paint is different, the flex agents in it make it soft pliable and somewhat porous. Though on my old saturn I never had that problem and cleaned tough stains with lacquer thinner. I believe the saturns are painted entirely in "bumper paint". How do you dilute thinner by the way?

Reading into it more I know what happened since you`re working on a previous touch up, don`t worry your paint isn`t etched. What happened is that the old paint just dissolved into the thinner. When it dripped and dried it deposited that dissolved paint on your bumper. Try a clean rag and more thinner and you`ll be able to remove the dried on touch up paint.

Is this just a random suggestion or do you have experience using this procedure on your Saturn? I have a Neon and I`d like to benefit from your wisdom.

Thread Information