Thread: Dull spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is only weeks old (BMW), and I had sap on the hood. I first tried the Turtle wax bug/tar remover... it took a bit of effort, and left a residue. After washing it off, it left a dull spot where the sap was. I also found many sap dots, so I tried Surf City Grime and it worked like a charm.

I figured the TW product removed the initial wax & wasn`t too concerned about the dull spot. I then sealed & waxed the entire car, but the dull spot where I used the TW remained. There`s just little to no gloss where the TW was used, looks foggy.

What is it, and how do I get rid of it? TY for any feedback/ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not an expert at all but I thought I just throw in my 2 cents. The TW is suppose to be weak and not remove wax (as so it claim). So maybe its caking on more wax making it uneven. I think a good wash shampoo should help. Or you can try Dawn (I feel kind of funny using with this) many people say its good at stripping wax. That might be your solution, to start fresh.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you mared the surface if you had to really rub it.. I be that is what happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    TY for the replies...

I tried taking a pic, but it wasn`t showing the dull spot well in the photo (overcast day). Any thoughts on how to repair the marring?

Sorry, I`m just not familiar with this issue. The cloudy/dull effect is a new thing for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    try taking a good polish to that section of the vehicle that contains the dull spot. Once you have been able to rid the car of the dull spot, marring, you can apply a good coat of wax.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re going at it by hand and need a quick fix, buy the Turtle wax premium rubbing and polishing compound in the green and black squeeze bottles respectively. These are a pretty decent set of polishes. The rubbing compound will remove the scratches and dullness and the polish will remove the light swirls left behind by the rubbing compound. I like to use the rubbing compound with a tightly folded cotton terry cloth, rubbing back and forth with light pressure. And the polishing compound with a microfiber or foam applicator.

Thread Information