Post Thanks / Like
    I`m doing this on a bet. The owner (a bud of mine) doesn`t think anything can be done, I do. I am nowhere near the level of anyone else here, which is why I don`t post too much. I am also crossposting this from another forum I frequent - apologies if you have to see this POS Jeep twice.

I just picked up the 3M wet/dry papers, the compound, and the machine polish as well as the tech wax last night.

I`m OK with my PC, pretty much OK with my rotary (I know my limits - I have a company car I practice on).

This is most of the products I have and am willing to use on this project:

This is the Jeep:

I`m thinking Wash(probably twice), and clay to see if that accomplishes anything. Then step up to the 3M machine polish and then the 3M compound if I have to. I`m looking to get rid of all the oxidation, and then see how scratched up the vehicle really is. Whatever level of polish ends up taking off the oxidation and about 75-70% of the blems, I figure I`ll work my way back to the machine polish or Megs 82, then the polymer sealant, and top with the Tech Wax.

The owner wants to see it nicer, just doesn`t know where to begin - was kind of oxidized when he bought it and didn`t really know where to begin. He`s not looking for a perfect finish on this, but if I can accomplish it on most of the vehicle I`ll be happy. I`m going to end up popping out all the lenses and lights and touching those up on my bench buffer and so I can get into the nooks and crannies in the bodywork.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Also, if anyone knows where I can get above 2500 grit papers around Long Beach, please let me know.

And yes, the hood is a different color. I`m going to have a buddy respray it eventually if the jeep owner can come up with the cost of the paint.

So this is kind of a beer and BBQ detail - I have some other friends coming over from work also that want to see how to use the DA and the rotary - meaning I don`t have to do all this myself.

At this point my work is limited to friends and family, the level of detail all you guys put into interiors would drive me up a wall. I am barely able to get there on my own vehicles.

:thx

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a suggestion. RUNNNN

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides the hood, not sure how much color difference there will be when finished, it should turn out well.

These type of jobs usually show the greatest improvements.

I usually do the hand work first then do machine.

Show some afters and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that`s a "Lazarus" project!

Post Thanks / Like
    would actually like to see finished product of this, good luck even though im not to par with everyone else too

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t waste all your good polishes on that, first use NuFinish first, or wetsand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice... It begins in one hour. I`ll post pics tonight.

Thread Information