Post Thanks / Like
    Long story short, my car was ordered with the wrong spoiler. When I noticed upon delivery, the dealership agreed to repair it for free. Unfortunately, that meant repainting the trunk lid. The body shop did an awful job with the finishing work, leaving buffer swirls over the entire rear end. I took it to a local detailer to have the full works performed last week (clay bar, polish, hand wax) and the car looked remarkable upon delivery. Now, one week later, holograms have appeared over the entire surface of the vehicle. I returned to the detailer (whom has been in business 15+ years and services several local car dealerships...thus I tend to believe him) and he said the problem must have been created by the body shop which replaced the spoiler in attempts to remove/disguise overspray, and eventually hidden with a glaze? He also stated that he used an orbital which would not cause holograms, particularly with his experience level. Now that he has done the job properly, their poor work is exposed. My question is if this damage can be repaired now? I made a second appointment with him for next week, but he didn`t have the utmost confidence that he would be able to get the holograms out. Any thoughts are much appreciated. If it`s of any assistance, the vehicle is a BMW. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The detailer ought to refund your money if he didn`t correct the problem you brought it in for. He should have noticed the holograms once he washed and clayed it, which would have removed any glaze the dealer applied to the car. I would agree with his assessment that the dealer used a rotary to remove overspray because most are completely ignorant about using clay to take off overspray. However, regardless of his experience and that he services several car dealerships, he did not take out the holograms and at the very least should polish out your car again, this time with a rotary (if he uses one). Otherwise, if he can`t remove the swirls, he should comp the job.

It would be helpful if you had your location listed, we might be able to direct you to an autopian pro who could do the work properly.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    JDoug550- Welcome to Autopia!

The good news is that holograms, being generally quite shallow, are usually pretty easy to correct. Note that ScottWax corrected them for years *by hand*, so doing it with an electric polisher shouldn`t be all that tough (I usually find it pretty easy, but sometimes it`s a little trickier than I expect).

The bad news is that, well... that detailer shoulda corrected them the first time, or at least told you that they were there and merely hidden. Despite his years of experience, he didn`t do right by you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies. As for the detailer, he and I visually inspected the car prior to me paying and it looked flawless. Granted it was inside his bay, but I don`t think he was intentionally hiding anything. He is going to work on the car again next week (any additional charges were not discussed) and try to remedy the problem. If anyone can recommend an autopian pro in the Columbia, SC area, I`m all ears. Thanks again

Thread Information