Post Thanks / Like
    A nervous new guy here, hopefully someone can help me.

Recently I ordered a PC 7424 with a bunch of pads, P21S, Sonus, Klasse and towels. After having read many many threads on Autopia and watching numerous `how to` videos for the PC on youtube, I decided to get to work on my mothers FJ Cruiser, to try out my new stuff. It had never seen wax and was washed very sparingly.

Degrease- check.

2 bucket wash- check.

claybar- check.

wash again- check.

At this point I get out the PC and as seeing the paint had swirls (but not major swirls to my mind) I opened up the Sonus SFX-2 that I had ordered and started to mimic the youtube instructions. Using an oragne CCS pad I spread it, worked it, broke it down and removed it.

Even though the finish was indeed `glossier` and smoother, swirls still remained. So I repeated the process and it did not improve. Disgruntled, I threw a quick coat of wax on the FJ and called it a day.

Earlier today I decided to detail my car.

P21S total auto wash, P21S wheel gel, 2 bucket wash, Sonus green clay, wash again. My car is a 2007 Nissan with slightly moderate swirls (less than the FJ had) so I figured I`m in good shape to use the SFX-2. After applying it the swirls are still evident (although reduced). Again I repeat the process but it does not help. What REALLY didn`t help was the fact that it was about to storm at this point and I panicked and threw some Klasse AIO on for a temporary protectant.

So here I am, debating whether or not I need the SFX-1 (paint isn`t oxidized or old) and if I do need a more aggressive polish, can I use it even though I just put the Klasse on?

Thanks for reading, hopefully I`m not making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    How quickly are you moving the PC and what size pads are you using? Use a good amount of pressure and move the PC very very slowly. Make sure you are using a 2x2 area or smaller.
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    What speed, how much pressure and how fast did you move the PC?

Nissan paint is pretty hard, so you may need to get pretty aggressive with it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    The orange pad is 4" I believe. I spread it using 3 at a normal speed, then once it`s evenly spread I will go up to 5 to work it slowly. On average I worked the 2x2 area for about 3-4 min. I`ve read that adequate pressure needed is when the machine starts to change it`s pitch (roughly 10-15 lbs IIRC).

While I`m not doubting you in any way, everyone I`ve talked to about Nissan paint says the clearcoat is crap and is very thin. (Nissan was nice enough to give me the orange peel paint job at no extra cost!)

EDIT: here is a pic after washing/claying but before the polish. Perhaps I`m misjudging the swirls?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    What speed, how much pressure and how fast did you move the PC?

Nissan paint is pretty hard, so you may need to get pretty aggressive with it.

Is it .. I have a 98 QNO ( White ) Max .. gettin my swirls out with my 6 inch pads just wasnt happening .. I ordered soem Megs 95 thogh, some 106fa, and some edge 4 inch pads, so time to go to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    you need speed 6 to even get a chance to remove swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cool. For a follow up question now, with the quick coat of Klasse on there now, is it ok to go ahead and try to use the SFX-2 again directly? Sorry for the novice questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyv

While I`m not doubting you in any way, everyone I`ve talked to about Nissan paint says the clearcoat is crap and is very thin.

Nissan has pretty hard clear regardless of how thin others may say it is. My `02 Maxima has the same paint thickness (4 mil average) as a Mercedes CLS550 that was a friend`s body shop according to his paint thickness gauge.

The main problem with Nissan paint is how easily it chips. Getting swirls out of it can be another thing altogether.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright great. Thanks so much for the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyv
    Ok cool. For a follow up question now, with the quick coat of Klasse on there now, is it ok to go ahead and try to use the SFX-2 again directly? Sorry for the novice questions!

Should eat through it but it may gum up the pads a bit.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    One last question I suppose. SFX-2 is ok to use with the orange right? As for the Klasse would the white pad be alright? Sealant/wax grey or blue?

Post Thanks / Like
    another thing is to make sure you`re not using too much polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    you need speed 6 to even get a chance to remove swirls.

I have a black infiniti (nissan) g35. With 4 inch pads, I would not use speed 6. You will destroy your pads. Use speed 5. It works perfectly for me. With larger pads, I agree with using at least 5 and likely 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I`ll try it again tonight and really work it in.

Thread Information