Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what it usually looks like.. spotless, nothing on the paint. All of a few scrapes, dings, and whatever your usual 9 year old car has.

Well.. my motor blew two main bearings back in May, so I dropped it off at my mechanic`s shop, and told him "Take however long you need."

I didn`t clean the car off, or the tire shine off the sides of the car that sprayed up while I was on the expressway doing 85 a few days before it went out on me.

So after two months, of sitting, being worked on on and off (I told him "Take however long you need" as I don`t have a job atm, so my parents have been helping me out, to take as long as he needed so it was done right.) so, my first plan this morning was to get the car washed, clayed, and waxed as it hasn`t been done since Feb. or so.. guess that won`t work. I washed the car with dish soap as I was going to

Well.. the tire shine will NOT come off of the paint no matter how hard I Try. Here`s what I`m looking at now.

So far, I`ve tried: Pressure washer, clay bar, dish soap, what I have left to do is use orange degreaser, purple power degreaser, and bug n` tar remover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t look like tire shine to me.. Have you tried a dedicated tar remover?
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    ended up fixing it, bought a bottle of bug n` tar remover, and a heavy duty bug scrape paint safe sponge and went to town. it all came off. fixed it.

Used a whole bottle on the car, though.. pretty much both sides from the bottom of the sideskirts up to the windows all the way back had it on there. It`s tire shine. It happens every single time I put it on. Looks good for a day or two, but it ends up slinging on the body everywhere. Methinks it`s time for mudflaps. BTW, Is that a regal in your av?

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps it`s time to switch to a different tire shine???

Ive never seen one that is black like that. :hm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erics00ls
    Methinks it`s time for mudflaps. BTW, Is that a regal in your av?

I`d say it`s time for a tire dressing change! I`ve never seen any dressing sling look anything like this. What brand are you using?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like tar to me. Surprisingly I`ve used gasoline to good effect. Factory paint should be gasoline resistant to beigin with and I know road tar or any greasy stains just dissolve and wipe off clean with a rag and some gas. Of course follow up with a good polish and wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`d say it`s time for a tire dressing change! I`ve never seen any dressing sling look anything like this. What brand are you using?

I`ve been using either Black Magic Titanium GEL, or Meguiar`s Hot Shine aerosol.

I`m not too into car detailing, I mean.. I wash my car 2 sometimes 3 times a week, but I want to learn eventually how to work a buffer, polish, the difference between all the different stuff.

What do you guys recommend for tire gloss..? if possible, and pics of product on tires. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like any of the clear goopy oils, they just are impossible to wash off. Sure they don`t turn tires brown but most tires don`t brown like they used to, but the oil becomes a brown sludge over time as it absorbs dirt. I just wash my tires using a mix of simple green and dishwashing soap and if I want to shine it up I just wipe on some armor all. Armor all doesn`t build up and provides a good shine that doesn`t look like an oil slick on your tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erics00ls
    ..........What do you guys recommend for tire gloss..? if possible, and pics of product on tires. Thanks
    It sure looks like tar to me too, but here are my three favorite tire dressings that I have never had sling (let them dry before driving). You`ll have to do a search to find pictures of them but it shouldn`t be too hard:

Zaino Z-16

Poorboy`s Bold N Bright

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus

UTTGP might be the longest lasting but it comes with a fairly steep price tag. Z-16 has a great look and reasonable price that makes it my favorite. Bold N Bright has a great look but the durability isn`t quite up to the other two. When I say a great look my idea is not a greasy wet type shine but more of a satin gloss.
    John

Thread Information