Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I`m in the middle of detailing my 2005 jeep wrangler (red). I`m having a tough time cutting through the scratches, etc.. especially on the hood.

The jeep is literally sitting in my garage after washing, claybar, wash and is taped off ready for polish. I`ve always had good results with my OP on my 06 mitsubishi evolution using the UDM. But the OP is no match for the jeep`s clearcoat - it appears to be very hard.

I tried an orange and yellow pad with the OP, but am not getting much correction (although it`s shining up nicely).

I`m thinking of buying either OC or OHC to try with a yellow pad followed by the OP with an orange or white pad.

First of all, should I be buying the OC or OHC? Should I be using another product entirely? I`m using a UDM as I mentioned and I need to come up with a solution rather quickly given that the car is just sitting.

Any advice for a red jeep? The original plan was OP followed by the zaino line.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use 1Z Pasta Instensiv with 3.5" PFW pads for the major correction, then again with 4" Cyclo green pads, then a milder pad/product combo (maybe your OP/white) for the final polish.

I wouldn`t try using the orange pads for the final work, you`ll get a much nicer finish with something more gentle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. Haven`t heard much about the product you are recommending and will do some more research. I already have a bunch of LC pads on hand.

I spent a few minutes in another area of the car today (drivers door). I`d say that the OP with UDM and orange pad is taking 90% of the scratches out of the paint. It`s that last 10% that I really want to get to.

Some of the 10% appears to be some pitting of the paint.. The previous owner kept this car at the beach, so it`s probably damage from salt & rain, etc. The other portion of the 10% are some deeper scratches (not the light swirls that the OP is taking out).

I think I might go ahead and buy the OC and try it out. I understand the OC is not as aggressive as the OHC and won`t marr as badly.

I`m thinking OC with LC orange pad followed by OP with the white pad and it`ll be as good as it`s going to be without major major work.

Thoughts anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Need4Speed- Can`t comment on the Optimum stuff as I`ve only used OCP (not one of my faves).

But I *will* caution you about falling into the "just a little more" trap...which is easy to do if you spend enough time here Stuff like pitting is often *IMO* something you should just live with rather than thinning the paint too much, and some deeper scratches are like that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice.. It is hard to keep things "in perspective" .. the energy on this forum feeds my OCDish tendencies like you wouldn`t believe (or maybe you would).

Thread Information