Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I have a black 02 Impala with plastic trim going around the body. I have seen the trim on others being gray or black....I`m hoping to paint or dye the trim this summer but I`m not sure what color to go with.

Also, I painted them black last summer and it turned out well, kinda. After I sprayed, when I went to remove the masking tape, the paint peeled off in some spots with it, as if there was no "seam" where the trim met the tape. Also, it didn`t last too long. I guess there was poor adhesion and the paint came off with my 1800 psi power washer. I wasn`t holding it too close, about a foot and a half away.

So should I go with black or gray??? And how should I go about doing it properly this time?? Product? How to prep?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you remove the trim for paint? I`ve had a number of pieces done professionally over the years, with much better results than my own efforts, but if you`re up for another attempt, here are some thoughts.

Prep is key. You`ll want to clean, then lightly scuff (for adhesion), then thoroughly clean the pieces...and then make sure they`re dry, with no lint or dust.

Assuming you`re talking about plastic pieces, an adhesion promotor is a must. Bulldog is pretty good, and I think Duplicolor makes one as well...neither are as good as what you can get in an automotive paint store. You`ll apply this in advance of the primer.

Speaking of primer - are the pieces firmly in place or is there any movement? If the latter applies, you`ll want a flex agent in the primer.

After painting, you`ll want ample curing time. Heat helps here too - I`ve used halogen work lamps with pretty good success.

Ultimately, don`t get your hopes up. There`s no substitute for professional paint work. This applies to human expertise, the right paint gun, and the right paint. Nothing us common folk can buy or do with a rattle can will compare. For some pieces, this doesn`t matter, but for anything affected by the elements, I`d consult with a pro. Ultimately you won`t spend a whole lot more and you`ll be much happier with the results.
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the trim is removable, but just on the doors. On the front and rear, it is part of the bumper cover. I am in fact talking about plastic pieces, the textured plastic actually...I neglected to mention that eariler.

I was wondering if Krylon Fusion is any good? I heard it`s made for plastic.

When you say lightly scuff, I`m assuming you mean with sand paper, but what grit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump, kinda...

I was looking at Autogeek and saw that they sell Forever Black in a quart refill size. They recommended a larger foam applicator than the shoe polish dauber on the little bottle on the same page. I was wondering if the larger foam applicator would help tp apply the dye without streaks.

Either that or I saw this:

Black Bumper & Cladding Coat

I`m assuming it`s just an aerosol dye. Anyone ever try it?

Please help me out : )

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the Forever Black - it`s pretty good stuff, although I`m not sure I`d agree with the "forever" part. The larger applicator saves time and does allow for a more uniform application. Depending on how tight the areas are in which you`re working, the bottle topper is still useful.

I`ve not used Krylon Fusion, but have seen it on a few pieces (GM truck guys...myself included...are notorious for painting pieces like spare tire access covers, reverse light bezels, roof rack mounts, etc). My uneducated take is that it`s as good as any other spray can offering. If you prep well, apply light coats, and allow proper drying/curing time, I think you`ll be reasonably pleased.

Just my personal take, but painting textured plastic: yuck. I`d choose to re-dye those pieces any day. Unless.... If you`re willing to put in the effort to smooth it first, the results can be really impressive. I`ve done this (roof rack mounts) and have been pleased with the results, but it`s time consuming....an awful lot of work goes a little way. :lol

For scuffing smooth plastic (or plastic chrome) I generally use either 000 steel wool or a fine sandpaper - 400 grit or so. You`re not putting in a lot of effort...just giving the primer something to adhere to. Again, I can`t really speak to the Krylon Fusion, but I highly recommend using an adhesion promotor for painting anything plastic. Good luck...
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom
    I`ve used the Forever Black - it`s pretty good stuff, although I`m not sure I`d agree with the "forever" part. The larger applicator saves time and does allow for a more uniform application. Depending on how tight the areas are in which you`re working, the bottle topper is still useful.

I think I`m leaning more and more towards the Forever Black. What do you mean you don`t agree with the forever part? How often would you recommend it be reapplied? Once a year? Twice a year?

Also, I read on their website that you don`t need to mask the surrounding area...is that true?? `cause if it just meant occassionally applying it in the same manner as a dressing, that`d be perfectly fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`d probably be wise to mask, just to make the application easier. It`s a pretty easy process. The photo on their website gives you an idea...

Forever Black Car Care Products

The durability is relative. On the vehicles I`ve seen it`s lasted between six months and a year.
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welp, I think I`m set on the FB. Any tips on how to apply it streak-free? Hopefully I`ll be able to do it at work in the service garage...decent lighting but out of the sun.

Thread Information