Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    so I joined this forum quite a while ago but never really got into detailing vehicles. Ive been on here over the past few weeks reading alot and have gotten an amazing amount of help and insight from many people here. For that I cant thank you guys enough. Anyhow, I have recently been buying some stuff to get me going, and I thought I would see what your opinions would be on my incoming arsenal. So far I have ordered...

Fk1 425

Fk1 108

Clearkote:

-vanilla moose wax

-red moose machine glaze

-caranuba moose wax

-Quik Shine

Menzerna:

-Intesive Polish

-Final Polish II

Edge:

1 yellow wool

1 green wool

1 blue wool

1 white foam

1Red foam

rotary adapter

Now I already have various other cleaners (simple green etc.) and mf cloths (cheap AZ ones that will be replaced) and other misc. tools and so on. I havent yet pulled the trigger on a rotary. I just cant decide between the makita and the dewalt however im leaning towars the dewalt. So is there anything that im missing? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good! I would probably add PO106FF Nano Polish or 3M Ultrafina to the list, though. As much as I like FPII, it doesn`t have *any* correction ability *at all*. Not that IP would leave much in the way of compounding marks anyway, but you might still have a few holograms that need to be cleaned up after the IP. FPII won`t do that. You`d need 106 or UF. FPII would be a great jeweling polish to use after the 106 or UF, though.

Great list of product...you`re gonna love em.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks superbee youve been a great help so far! I am still onm the fence about the 106 and UF. I hear great things about all the menzerna stuff, but I also have yet to hear bad things about the UF. However I really dont feel like spending all that money on the 3m pad so maybe I will go with the 106 after all... decisions, decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    jbone- Here`s another vote for some polish in-between the IP and the FPII.

I`d go with something other than the 106FF because of the way it can hide things that`ll only appear quite a while down the road. I`m partial to 1Z High Gloss myself, but there are a lot of other good choices. I just encourage people to try foolproof (or at least Accumulator-proof) products and I dunno if 106FF is one (I`ve never used it but I`ve seen the "magical reappearing holograms" show up months after a *very* good pro used it).

And *I* would need some kind of random oribital/DA polisher to go with the rotary, but that gets back to things being Accumulator-proof

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks accumulator! how does the 1Z high gloss compare to lets say ultrafina SE? I do plan on getting an orbital/da down the road but for now I hope I can make due. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone
    thanks accumulator! how does the 1Z high gloss compare to lets say ultrafina SE? I do plan on getting an orbital/da down the road but for now I hope I can make due. Thanks again!

I`ve never used Ultrafina. SuperBee364 has used both and he posted something comparing them, but I forget the specifics. *IIRC* they`re similar but the Ultrafina finishes out a *little* better while the 1Z HG has a *little* more cut...but my memory is foggy so don`t bet your life (or your paint ) on that being correct. Both oughta finish out hologram-free *IF* (huge "if" IMO) you do your part correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that`s how they work for me, at least. Both are very fine polishes. The UF does have a tendency to sling. 1Z is about the easiest polish in the world to use. Put the rotary on 1k RPM, slap on a white (or finer) foam pad, work it at 1k (or slower) RPM until it disappears, then wipe off what little residue remains. Really easy, really good results. Even easier than UF to use.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks again gentlemen!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    ..1Z is about the easiest polish in the world to use..

Well, as long as you keep the speed down and don`t use too much product

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Well, as long as you keep the speed down and don`t use too much product

Yeah, *especially* the speed. That stuff will flash over into cement really fast with too many RPM`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is flash over??

(I am a firefighter so Im pretty sure flashover to me is different than it is to you) LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone
    What is flash over??

(I am a firefighter so Im pretty sure flashover to me is different than it is to you) LOL

It`s when the polish dries immediately into a very hard residue that is difficult to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    well today I got to see what flashover really was. A friend of mine decided he needed to polish his car (infiniti G35 dark blue). I told him I bought some new stuff and told him could give it a shot. Well... his results werent so good, but it was apparently the user. He applied way too much product. He was slapping the IP around like he was trying to put 10 coats of wax on all at once with an applicator!!! Then he went at it w/ his makita rotary. I dont know how fast the rpms were but it sounded pretty high, and sure enough after a couple of passes some of it was stuck on there like cement. He was dissapointed with the severe holograms, that he couldnt get rid of. When I tried to explain how I understood it was supposed to work, he told me that menzerna was "obviously just a crappy product" and intends on going back to whatever it was he used before

oh and btw I just ordered my dw849!!!:heelclick and I think kill order some 1z high gloss, and megs 95. Thank you George Bush:usa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information