Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, guys. Well, I finally decided to try out my new line of Menzerna products last night on MY car before using it on a clients car. First, some background. I have a 99 TL which is hunter/dark green. I`m not very proud of the fact that I have treated this car like $%*! which is so unlike me. My two previous vehicles (Corvette & Silverado) were treated as if made of platinum. For some reason though, I basically gave up on my TL. I bought the car new, and I`m ashamed to say that it has only been waxed ONE TIME, since I`ve owned it. That my friends, is SAD! Needless to say, it`s in pretty bad shape. If you can name a paint flaw, my car has it.

So, back to the problem. I decided to wash my car last night, and give the SIP a go on the hood, since it is heavily oxidized! I washed the car, then clayed the hood with Sonus Ultra-Fine clay. The paint felt pretty good, even though you could still see TONS of oxidation. I taped off half of the hood because I wanted to do a nice 50/50 shot. I`m using a PC with a yellow LC pad with the SIP. I`m working in small 2x2 sections, and after my first run, the difference is amazing!!! I couldn`t believe how many scratches were removed. I ended up doing two complete runs on the left side of the hood. Impressive! Until I break out the halogens.

Back up, more background info. I have several paint chips on my hood...so bad, the spots (The largest the size of my pinky thumbnail, the smallest is smaller than a pencil eraser) are rusted. The pics will tell all, but I`m thinking I picked up some rust and/or some paint that was flaking off, onto my pad, and now I have HUNDREDS of these tiny scratches on my hood by the grill. What should I do? Wetsand it?

I`ve attached some before shots (Sorry no afters right now) and some pics of the scratches. Any and all input would be GREATLY appreciated. This sucks, but at least I know the Menzerna is the real deal. :lol

Before:

Post Thanks / Like
    Tiny Scratches:

HELP!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty sure you need to follow up SIP with something like PO106FF to get out the fine polish marks left behind by SIP.

I don`t have any of the new menzerna polishes yet so I cannot say for certain whether or not you could polish SIP to "LSP READY" quality without another polish between them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to follow with 106FF, but after seeing those tiny scratches, I was just depressed. Plus, it was LATE! It was strictly a test run, and I`ll finish the hood this evening. I just wanted to see what I could do about those scratches. It looks like the worlds smallest ninja went crazy on my hood with the worlds smallest katana. :shocked

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    I`m pretty sure you need to follow up SIP with something like PO106FF to get out the fine polish marks left behind by SIP.

I don`t have any of the new menzerna polishes yet so I cannot say for certain whether or not you could polish SIP to "LSP READY" quality without another polish between them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get a paint chip or something stuck in your pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 99.99% sure that`s what happened. Like, I said, I think my pad picked up a paint chip from the damage on my hood and then started slicing into my paint. I honestly didn`t think that would happen.

Chalk it up to a rookie mistake, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux
    Did you get a paint chip or something stuck in your pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, that really blows.. let me see it after u take care of the scratches though

Post Thanks / Like
    I will, but I have NO IDEA how to fix this. haha

Quote Originally Posted by supadupac
    wow, that really blows.. let me see it after u take care of the scratches though

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure that`s not cc failure and the polish just highlighted it?
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a very good point, that I didn`t think about. Hmm....how I test to see if it`s cc failure?

Quote Originally Posted by kompressornsc
    Sure that`s not cc failure and the polish just highlighted it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats Clear Coat failure. There not way to test it, I can just tell by looking at it.

Weve got a Jeep with the same problem. It just look bad till you get up close to it, ours isnt that bad though...
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grrrrr......I honestly just need to have the hood repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
    Thats Clear Coat failure. There not way to test it, I can just tell by looking at it.

Weve got a Jeep with the same problem. It just look bad till you get up close to it, ours isnt that bad though...

Post Thanks / Like
    The same Ninja visited my Black 99 TL hood! (I had neglected my TL over the years as well... Pre Autopian washes and occasional OTC waxing.) Last summer I began claying and using better techniques and products. I had not noticed these marks until I used Mother`s 3 stage last winter. I think it highlighted the existing "cracks" since they appear only near the grill on the hood - which is where your scratches show up, too - and no where else on the car.

I saw a post recently that mentioned cracks in neglected clear coat. No pics of cracks in the post, but that name sure fits what I think these marks look like.

I`d be interested in what can be done to minimize the appearance. I am considering a hand polish (Sonus bundle or 1Z Einszett Paint Polish) followed by a filling glaze (Black Hole or DWG) and a LSP. I am not looking to put a bunch of money into a 9 year old daily driver...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for chiming in, Stang. Sounds like you guys may be right about the cc failure. I`ll be curious to see what the pros say about this.

Again, I`m like you. I`ll be getting a new car in the next year or two, so dumping money into my 99 TL doesn`t seem like a wise choice. That`s what I get for not finding Autopia earlier. :grinno:

Quote Originally Posted by 08StangGT
    The same Ninja visited my Black 99 TL hood! (I had neglected my TL over the years as well... Pre Autopian washes and occasional OTC waxing.) Last summer I began claying and using better techniques and products. I had not noticed these marks until I used Mother`s 3 stage last winter. I think it highlighted the existing "cracks" since they appear only near the grill on the hood - which is where your scratches show up, too - and no where else on the car.

I saw a post recently that mentioned cracks in neglected clear coat. No pics of cracks in the post, but that name sure fits what I think these marks look like.

I`d be interested in what can be done to minimize the appearance. I am considering a hand polish (Sonus bundle or 1Z Einszett Paint Polish) followed by a filling glaze (Black Hole or DWG) and a LSP. I am not looking to put a bunch of money into a 9 year old daily driver...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04

Yup, the clear coat is cracking which means the clear coat has failed. I have it on my Jeep as well - 98 Wrangler. Nothing can be done about it except a repaint ... no detailing product is going to work.

Here`s a pic of my Jeep ... I assume it`s from a crappy paint job from the factory since it has always been taken care of:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information