Thread: Stepping It Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all who have posted such great information on this sight. I`ve learned so much. I learned that one should always start with the least aggressive combination of pad and polish, but I`m a bit confused when it comes to selecting a more aggressive combination. Should I select a more aggressive pad and stay with the same polish or a more aggressive polish and stay with the same pad? In my case I would be stepping up from Menzerna FP and a white LC pad to either an orange pad or Menzerna IP, but I also wonder if there is a general rule to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go either way more pad same polish or different polish same pad and or whatever till you get the correction you want.
    04 cobra mystichrome Sold new home in AZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    in most cases, I personally woudl go to the IP/White next ...then IP/Orange. I don`t know if Final polish and Orange would make much of a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my case, I am just using different pads with Optimum polish, and it is working well for me.

Good question, btw.
    2003 Silverado SS

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to thread jack but this is kinda on the same topic: When changing over to a more aggressive polish is it a no no to use the exact same pad as you were using with the less aggressive polish? I assume it wouldnt be a problem unless you wanted to use the same pad on a car with a less agressive polish than you were previously using.

I think I just confused myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone
    I hate to thread jack but this is kinda on the same topic: When changing over to a more aggressive polish is it a no no to use the exact same pad as you were using with the less aggressive polish? I assume it wouldnt be a problem unless you wanted to use the same pad on a car with a less agressive polish than you were previously using.

I think I just confused myself

Heh heh, I think I understand what you`re asking Yeah, it`s OK to use a pad with a more aggressive product, just *keep* using it with that aggressive product from then on.

Quote Originally Posted by LQ9SS
    In my case, I am just using different pads with Optimum polish..

Yeah, OP is one of those "pad-dependent" products that works well that way- whole lotta pad choices with OP. IME many producs have much more limited "happy combos".

Quote Originally Posted by mystic04
    You can go either way more pad same polish or different polish same pad and or whatever till you get the correction you want.

*GENERALLY SPEAKING* I tend to use more aggressive products rather than more aggressive pads. Let`s see if I can clarify that:

I only use orange/yellow foam or PFW with really aggressive products. I never use medium-strength products (let alone something like FP) on these pads.

And I never expect a ready-to-wax finish from an orange pad either (if you think it looks OK, just try a follow-up and see for yourself: it`ll look a whole lot better if you do a subsequent pass or two with a milder combo).

I do use pretty aggressive products (e.g., 1Z Pasta Intensiv) on medium/mild polishing pads for some things, and as long as the product can break down to something reasonable it works fine (although the corrective ability is more limited). The pads will load up faster than would a more open/porous foam though.

The medium/fine product/pad combos oughta be pretty obvious.

Thread Information